In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

870 barrels

pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
what year & what is the size of the barrel mount ring when they changed them on the 870?

Comments

• pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone know the difference between 870 Express and 870 Special Purpose barrels? I am looking to put a vent rib barrel on a 870 special purpose gun that came with a slug barrel, and wonder if I can use the 870 Express vent-rib barrel?
    edited November -1
    I checked archived posts and did not find a definitive answer. Will all 870 chamber length barrels fit the Super Magnum receiver? And, will 2 3/4 and 3 inch hulls properly eject from a 3 1/2 inch Super magnum receiver?

The goal of an acquaintance is to put a 30" "trap barrel" on a Express Super Magnum. He shoots 2 3/4" trap loads. Based on the barrel chart all the 870 barrels should work. I think I've read somewhere the Super Field model uses a different attachment but wasn't sure on on the Super Mag.
    edited November -1
    hi guys ,i know this has been asked before but i will ask again,do the express 12 ga. barrels fit a wingmaster receiver? thanks
    edited November -1
    will the wingmaster barrel fit a express gun?
    edited November -1
    Have a number of 870 and 1100 barrels. Problem is I also have some that have features of both??? The tang on these is about 1 inch,like a 870, but the ring is wide (1 1/2 inch, with gas ports) and rear of ring is 7 1/2 inch from edge of cham. like the 1100.This ring is identical to 1100. I'm guessing that the 1100 has a long tang and a short one, just haven't seen any listed on Gunbroker!!!! Jerry
  • makindumakindu Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1978, or late 1977. Coincided with the release of the 20 gauge 870LW Wingmaster. This was the first 870 20 gauge receiver that was built on a 20 gauge frame. Since then, all 870 20 gauges, including the Express series, have the smaller 7/8 inch diameter barrel ring. All 20ga barrels are interchangeable after that date EXCEPT for the 20ga Special Field model. That shotgun had a shorter magazine which only holds 3 shells instead of 4, and Remington moved the barrel ring rearward about another 1 3/4 inches. (9 1/4 inches from the back of the barrel ring to the end of chamber, versus 11 inches for a regular barrel designed for fitting a 4 shell capacity magazine).
    edited November -1