In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77 MKII Target in .308 question..........

owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Considering this gun for target shooting at 500 to 1000 yard ranges. Mostly interested in potential for accuracy and dependability. Pros and cons? Neighbor has this gun for sale and I think I want it as the price is reasonable. What price is good for this gun in like new condition with a 6X40 Osprey scope mounted? Thanks for your opinion and sharing your experience with this Ruger model 77 MK II, it has a laminated wood stock. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one...1st year manufacture...twist was wrong for light bullets... If yours is the same as mine it'll do well with heavy pills....
    JIM............
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 Ruger 77 MkII target models - 223, 25.06, 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308. There's not much available for these by way of aftermarket add ons, but other than that I think they are great target rifles, really under rated. The 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor are all "5 shots, one hole" at 100 yds, the 25.06 is a touch tempermental on loads but under 1" and the 308 will shoot anything well. I use the 6.5 and 308 to plink steel chickens, rams out to 600 yds up in OR.

The stock is very stable up front, sits nicely on sandbags. The trigger is just as good as a Remington 700 and easy to adjust, I can generally get a better trigger pull with the 77 MkII.

About 2 years ago Ruger went from a smooth grey finish on this rifle to a rougher matte, silver finish. Pretty sure the rate of twist is 1 in 10" or close to. In 308 I tend to use 155 to 168 grain bullets, Hornady VMax or Sierra BTHP.

I know nothing of the Osprey scope but don't think a 6X is suitable for longer range target shooting. I have a few Weaver 36X fixed with fine line reticle on a few target rifles, Leupold 35X fixed too. I'm guessing between $500.00 - $600.00 is an "about right" price for thee rifle & rings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Osprey scope is actually a 10X40X30MM variable. My error. How is the trigger adjusted on this gun?
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by owen219
    The Osprey scope is actually a 10X40X30MM variable. My error. How is the trigger adjusted on this gun?

There is detailed info on line regarding the specifics, basics are there are three screws in the trigger housing unit. Lower does sear engagement, middle does trigger spring pressure and top is overtravel. The easiest way to adjust is by turning in the lowest (sear engagement) only. Turn it in until the sear drops, then back out 1/8 turn or fine tune some more by adjusting the trigger spring screw.

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/rugervt.html
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say the gun is worth $400.00-500.00, and the scope is a not heard of much, un-sure quality type deal. I would ask him to include the scope, or take it off, as it adds no value to the deal.

Best
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC The earlier triggers were not adjustable...
    JIM.........
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I just got an ealier 77r/t in .223, it does shoot well. the trigger, while not as adjustable as a Rem., is useable . 2 1/2 lbs., 2 stage with a little creap. the Osprey scope is also usable, I bought one at a NRA convention several years ago and it works well (granted it's not a Leopold or Swavorski (sp?))
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I will probably get this gun thanks to you guys. I like the adjustable trigger options, the looks, the caliber, the heavier weight, the matte stainless steel finish, the pretty laminated stock, and the feel. I don't think I could go wrong on this gun using the correct bullet weight as recommended. This gun should allow me to get past my usual 500 yard limit, which is the goal. Major investment to this poor old retired guy. Thanks for your help on this for me. You guys are great. Christmas to myself.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "MERRY Christmas to myself.".......NICE ATTITUDE[;)], the wholesale price on the 77 mkll r/t is about $650 (no scope)
  • Options
    keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grab it! I wish I would have never sold my Ruger m77 it was wood and blue finish... But would hang with the Remington sendero sf II I bought after I sold it...at 200 yds... Didn't have a place to shoot further at the time ... Never knew bout the adjustable trigger either. The factory pull was Really Heavy