In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Charles Daly .45 Field 1911-A1 EFS Blue

Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Has anybody had any experience with these pistols. I just had one given to me as a gift and need to know how it holds up and some personal reviews from owners on quality. Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    As they say NEVER LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH. With that said The early Charles Daly clones were made in ASIA before they reall made a clone that was true to all interchangeable parts.and the steel used was not the best in the world. As a shooter I would use BALL AMMO it may or may not feed other types of ammo and I would keep it stock aftermarket parts may not be ale to fit even for a gunsmith . I say Enjoy nothing to make it unsafe to use. [^]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a wild idea, go shoot it and tell us how it works. [:D]
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not want to shoot it because its NIB so I wanted a little information prior to shooting it..Did not want to shoot it and have it come apart in my hand.. so to speak.. Cant really find much info about the gun..other than its no longer made.. Layne12gun
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still made

Just a different importer.

OK gun.

Shoot it.

CP
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it wont blow up in your hand and use it ...it's not a collectable...mine worked fine...traded it to a friend who won't trade it back
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up one a while back for a song. I hated the huge "Charles Daly" and ".45 ACP" on the slide, so I had a friend bead-blast and cerakote it in black. Looks 100% better. Works well, no jams with fmj, and standard pressure 230 JHP from Federal, Winchester and Remington. I have been using Colt mags by the way. Fair to middlin' accuracy, nothing to write home about but not "minute of barn door" either. You should be happy with it, especially since the price was right.

Only hiccup so far; during reassembly after the cerakote the saftey lever broke. I replaced it with a decent one from Wilson, I believe. I also replaced the original grips with rosewood double-diamond pattern ones I got for 10 bucks on eBay.

For an inexpensive .45 caliber plinker/self defense gun there are, of course, much more refined and better 1911's for a corresponding increase in $$, but since it is what you have it is not a bad gun. As for the "NIB unfired condition," it's not worth any collector $$ by a long shot.
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I have one and it shoots well with no problems. It is more accurate then my colt 1991a1
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I finally made it to the range and shot the Charles Daly. The fit and finish of the gun was very good. Trigger broke at 3.9lbs. gun shot very well. used CCI 200 grn clean fire, CCI Blazer 230 grn TMJ, Remington 230Grn Lead Metal Case, and Winchester 230 grn Ball, Speer Gold Dot 185 HPs
    The gun was rested and 7 shot groups fired from rest. The gun shot 4 inches high but dead centered on the target. The best group was fired with the Speer 185grn gold dot HP. just over 2 inches.
    The other ammo shot 3 to 4 inch groups. This is definately not a target gun by any stretch. The groups also opened up as the gun got hot in the South Fla shooting environment.
    All in All the gun shot well. Only two failures to feed and those were on dropping the slide on the first rounds of the Gold Dot. Otherwise they shot just fine with no stoppages.. Ok gun for the money and a good defensive gun but not a tack driver by any stretch..

Im glad I got it for free. But would consider buying one if the price was right.. PS Colt and Military mags worked just fine.

thanks
  • GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    F.W.I.W. I just learned last night that charles daly went out of business January 2010. Best
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that all Charles Dalys & Rock Island Arsenals were made by Armscorp of the Philippines. Armscorp also makes parts & complete guns for other "manufacturers", but, like cars, you never know how much of any gun was made by which company. They can make a batch of guns as well, or as poorly, as the buyer wants.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."