In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

problem with remington sportmen 48

Will on kauaiWill on kauai Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I need some info,a friend has a sportmen 48 in 12ga.You load a shell in the gun,the gun fires but the shell stays stuck in the barrel!!!! Then you need to pry the shell out.could someone tell me what could be the cause of the problem and if any solutions? Any and all comments would be great Thanks for your time
will

Comments

• Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the stuck shells reloads that are not properly sized? Does it happen with factory loads? Check to see if the extractor is broken or missing. Polish the chamber with a tight fitting bore brush on a drill with Hoppes #9. Then polish with Flitz on a patch the same way.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    YOU need to clean and "POLISH" the chamber . Because the chamber is larger then the bore a normal bore brush does not clean the chamber.
  • Options
    txfellertxfeller Member Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be my guess that the shells that are sticking are winchester brand. I have the same exact issue with those in my browning 2000 and remington model 11. Get a box of the federal brand and see if that doesn't solve it, as all my autos love those.

All the best, TX

Edited for more info

It has absolutely nothing to do with the chamber. Autos extract the empty extremely fast, and the rim on the winchester hull is too rounded for the extractor to grab firmly. Federal and remington hulls have a nice flat rim for the extractor to grab and don't have that issue.