In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

purple gun

bflygare@lkdllink.netbflygare@lkdllink.net Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Why does a gun that is seldom used and stored in a safe has parts that turn plum in color and is thier any way to prevent it?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Caused by: metallurgy + bluing process + time

A few factory guns are known for this, but more commonly seen on refinished guns.

Sorry, there's no known way to prevent this from happening. But, on certain classic guns like early Ruger Blackhawks, it has little or no effect on value.

I guess it's possible that vacuum sealing new guns in a plastic bag might prevent them from turning plum, but, by the time we know which guns are a problem, it's too late.

Neal
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,359 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    My 45 Blackhawk, purchased in 1977, has turned the most beautiful plum color. I would never consider trying to prevent that happening, it has a "salty" been around look that a new gun just can't have.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think its the nickle content of the steel and or the blueing salts. Whatever causes it I'll take it over plastic guns.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Sometimes it's that the blueing tank is not hot enough.
    Or the silicone from the casting hasn't been washed off good.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bflygare@lkdllink.net
    Why does a gun that is seldom used and stored in a safe has parts that turn plum in color and is thier any way to prevent it?

It has to do with the bluing, which is one type of iron oxide, chemically converting into a different type of oxide slowly with time.

Some bluing processes, with some metal alloys are more prone to this happening than others.

So far as I know there is no practical way to prevent this.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add to others comments regarding bluing, bluing salts wear out after so many uses. When the salts begin wearing, slight discoloration(splotchyness or pluming) can begin as soon as the metal is out of the tank. The more uses, the worse the discoloration. A master gunsmith never let's it get to this point. However buying new bluing salts is extremely expensive due to hazmat fees costing more than the salts themselves. No thanks to the EPA. Another alphabet agency. Good riddens.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plum bluing is cool. Sometimes it comes on over time and sometimes, I think it's just a way to get the last parts out of a certain batch of bluing.

I repaired a French pistol and all the smaller parts were plum. It was pretty cool.