In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand ammo ?

Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
There is a large variety of modern 30-06 ammo available today. Is there anything that a functioning M1 Garand can't handle?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any boat can be a minesweeper once. Feed your rifle enough of the wrong stuff and it will not be functional for long. If I still had one I'd load for it, you will get way better ammo that way.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yes. Stick with the surplus FMJ rounds. Available over on the auction side for years.

Reason:
    The civvy (read: hunting) rounds have a higher pressure at the gas-port, and it shocks the action during cycling (op rod, bolt lug) to a greater extent than what the parts were originally designed to handle.

It has to do with the modern powders..slower burn rate, etc.

Comprehensive handloading manuals will list 'M1' loadings if you want to have a civvy bullet for hunting. Hope I helped. Joe
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the DCM gov issue fmj much is from Korea era...

Like our Vets "Old but good"
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But, if you are determined to stray from military ammo, installing an adjustable gas cylinder plug should minimize the chance of damaging your rifle.

Neal
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    173 gr,M-1 Ball or 150 gr,M-2 Ball or equivalent.
    These loads are published so they can easily be duplicated.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Civvy ammo MAY equal wrong pressure curve. Stick to M1 or M2 ball and you aer good to go. Wrong ammo= damaged operating rod.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    hornady makes m-1 'specific' ammo