In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WAMO "HAMILTON" pistol value?

Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Author of a recent article on the guns of WHAM-0 said he knew of only six "HAMILTON" pistols, and because of their scarcity, had thought the first one he saw might be a prototype. Then he found five more over the years, none with serial numbers. My gun IS serial numbered, just over 700 and was EXTREMELY hard to find.

WAMOHAMILTONSTAMPINGS005_edited.jpg

The little pamphlet in lower left is an original WHAM-O/WAMO, 10-panel fold-out piece featuring the toy maker's line of more he-manly SPORTING PRODUCTS. More dangerous adult toys like throwing knives, dueling epees, crossbows, blowguns, etc..

Below is a pic of the Hamilton advertised on the bottom of one of WHAM-O's free hand-out targets. They also advertised these SPORTING PRODUCTS on packaging for other WHAM-0 brand toys.

WAMOAD2_edited-1.jpg

This gun shows a few dings and bumps on the stock finish but nothing serious. So, what would the GB Experts value such a scarce item at today? I now have all three known WAMO firearms, and might decide to sell them as a single lot. What kind of price should a complete working set be valued at?

Due to an outcry from owners of the very popular Hamilton Rifle Co. products the author referred to the WAMO HAMILTON as their "PIRATE PISTOL." The Hamilton name refers to the front stuffer pistols which gained fame through the Hamilton-Burr duel in the 1800s. NOTE in their ad above they called it the HAMILTON DUELING PISTOL.

Any help appreciated.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Value would depend on demand more then any other factor. It's difficult to come up with a FMV if so few were made originally. My take is that it would be considered a item of firearms curiosa rather then being conventional firearm. Tough to price because of this.

You might consider taking it to some of the larger antique gunshows to see if you could find a dealer or collector who's knowledgeable about the firearms curiosa category of guns.

I don't know if their still being published but at one time their were two gun magazines devoted to antique and collectors firearms. If Man at Arms and the Gun Report haven't been put out of business because of the net, you might consider sending your photos and info to them to help ascertain value.
  • Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe. In the years I've been searching HARD for one, this is the FIRST one I've found for sale. Don't believe it would be considered curiosa as it was so widely advertised in the '50s. It's just that they didn't advertise them correctly like they did their WAMO POWERMASTER PISTOL. That one got LOTS of ads and coverage in the American Rifleman back then.

Serial number on this one would indicate there's more than 700 more out there - IF they started number at 0. It's reported (1985 Gun Digest) that the POWERMASTER PISTOL was started at 100. Mine's over 2500 and a buddy has one over 4800!!!

Haven't seen either magazine you mention but will do a web search and see what turns up for those titles.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45