In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RG 14 grips

1st LtTSG1st LtTSG Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a RG 14 .22 light frame 3" barrel w/round grips, good snake gun but needs bigger grips. Is there longer, square grips that will interchange without modifications ? other brands interchange ?

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    Check the auction side. I just did and found several sets.
  • Options
    1st LtTSG1st LtTSG Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks so much for your answers about grips for RG 14 but perhaps i wasn't clear about what i was looking for. I am looking for square or longer grips than will fit as is or with some slight modifications for one that has a round butt. I did find what are called conversion grips (from round to square) but it was unclear if they would fit. I did see a pair of Taurus grips of unknow model that looked like the profile of a round butt was inside of grips,longer to allow 3rd figure grip and fit together below grip frame. Seller didn't know if they would fit and shipping was as high in price of grips.
    Is this small frame size(RG 14 .22 revolver) the same as other brands(Taurus,S&W,Ruger,Rossi)?? I know that Taurus and S&W look alike, not sure if parts interchange or in the case of grips it would be safe to make minor modifications for proper fit.
    As of today i now need the screw-in-pin for the swing out cylinder of the same RG 14, lost it no telling where. Apparently the same model comes in different types, some with pull out pin, some with screw-in-pin, with swingout cylinder or pop-out. I know that the screw-in-pin was a risk to lose but the price was right for snakes and more ease of shot with larger grips, just didn't think either would be a problem to find. I appreciate the the address for the online site as well, but didn't seem to have either part i needed.
    I'm still in need of advice as to interchange ablity of any parts for the RG 14 or other brands. I do have limited knowledge of any weapon but never had need to repair/replace anything, that is why i am here for your help.

with sincere appreciation,
    thank you
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very unlikely that parts from any modern made revolver, be it S & W, Taurus, Charter Arms etc. Would fit any RG model without extensive reworking. Given the current FMV of any of the RG's, wouldn't be worth the time, effort and money, IMHO. If you want larger grips your going to have to fab them yourself.

The RG line of small .22 revolvers were imported from West Germany in the 60's as inexpensive personal protection handguns. They were priced to sell for less then $30. Their pot metal construction and workmanship rendered them virtually unrepairable, i.e. when they go south folks just throw them in the trash or use them for fishing sinkers. After market grips and other accessories were never available because folks who bought <30$ revolvers, wouldn't spring for them.