In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

XYZ COLT

jonlowerjonlower Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
Concerning the post from the fellow who purchased the XYZ Colt, there are a two things that make me think the factory may not have devulged all the right facts. First, that the letters are on the frame AND the straps under the grips is typical of serialization methods used in the second generation and third/fourth generation Colt production. From the hammer style, it looks like a 1959-61 produced gun. Second, the machine marks on the flat that was stamped on the frame are very typical of Colt methods. I submit that this is a ligit gun that was made as a prototype and may have been a custom gun shop or production sample that had incorporated new features or dimensional changes. I know for certain that by 1970, frames were being redisigned, as well as every other part in an effort to make them safer and cheaper to produce. Why don't you contact Jim Alimo, former custom shop manager, about it, he's on the internet selling engraved and ivory stocked guns. There would be no reason to stamp the straps under the grips if it was a ranch name, who would care or look there? Don't throw the baby out with that bath, you may have a rare prototype. Dig deeper!

JP

Comments

• Options
    jonlowerjonlower Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more thing, after working with Colt for a number of years, I know they can move very slowly on changes. If the gun was a prototype, new tooling or a company tooled up to do it was necessary. Remember, the old equipment was ruined during the 2nd world war when it was left outside the plant, removed for machine gun manufacture. This could be a VERY important piece of the pre war, post war puzzle in the history of Colt SA. You may want to contact Carol Wilkerson, who's husband wrote the book on the second gens. She has a wealth of information that was not in the book.
  • Options
    capguncapgun Member Posts: 1,848
    edited November -1
    Oh please, that gun appears heavily and crudely buffed on all over the frame area. The frame where the XYZ is appears roughly ground, I do not believe Colt would leave a gun like that. And there would be no reason to grind the frame unless something was removed. The XYZ is crudely stamped and even filled with with gold. It appears XYZ is on the straps because a marking has been removed there, you can see rough grind marks. Plus the grips have a partial serial number inside.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I am no expert by far, but it did look very crudley done with a grinding wheel. .
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Item in the pictures would not have passed muster, and released from the factory. I pulled my 1st and 2nd gen Colts, and they do not exhibit such crude workmanship in the areas of the SerNo's.

Best, Joe

EDIT
    Hey, Bonanza (V35)..check out the link below. Best, Joe
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=528753
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that long ago someone was selling repro SAA frames.
    They could be finished up with Colt parts including barrels,cylinders, trigger guards and backstraps.
    Could it be one of those?
    Where can I see the photos for this post.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Not that long ago someone was selling repro SAA frames.
    They could be finished up with Colt parts including barrels,cylinders, trigger guards and backstraps.
    Could it be one of those?
    Where can I see the photos for this post.

This is the only one you need to see [B)]

2201005990048641526S600x600Q85.jpg

They didn't try to polish out the file marks [:0]