In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is going on?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I went to the range yesterday. Took some new handloads. First shot across the chrono was 2653 fps the next two were 3057 fps and 3027 fps. Ok first shot was the fouler and 300 fps slower. Maybe. Shot three more same thing. First shout was 2853 fps the second and third were 3000fps, How?

Comments

• Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the pattern is repeating it has to be a cold barrel is slowing down the bullet or more likely you have monitoring equipment issue.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you check the powder charges to make sure your machine is throwing consistent charges?
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Lefty thanks for the reply, yes that was the first thing I checked.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What brand/model of chronograph? If a battery powered model maybe try a new battery. Have you tried using a different gun/load to see if the pattern repeats or goes away? I would try a know load across the chronograph to see if it is reading consistent.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The batteries should be good, but I will double check. As will try a known load. Update, the known load checks out as do the batteries.
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Guy,

Two things come to mind that can cause eratic vel. readings.

1) shooting too close to the screens so the muzzle blast is causing interference.

2) inconsistant ignition -, sometimes caused by using standard primers with some ball powders, or with compressed loads.

We are kinda' stab'en in the dark without knowing;

caliber
    load recipe
    spec's for the gun used (barrel length, twist, etc)

The more specific your question, the more likely you are to get the correct answer in a timely manner.

Jim
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get some erroneous reading on the initial shot with my old Chrony. Doesn't always happen but if it does, it will be on the 1st shot after being turned on.