In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MANNLICHER-SCHONAUER EXPERTS Photos added

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Just got one in and need help with value.. Send me a message with your email and I will send pics.thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MFI,
    Got the pics. Not one I'm familiar with. Will see if I can recall how to post pictures and will attempt adding them to this thread this evening.
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MFI,
    Sorry for the delay. Your pictures are good, but damned if I get them to post.
    It may help others to respond to know the following:

Left side of receiver marked "Mannlicher-Schonauer 1930 System"
    Top of forward receiver ring has a broad cross and "Y 1903/14"

Hope this flushes someone out who really knows something!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Come on guys, there's a whole topic in a Sticky just above this which gives instructions on Posting Photographs.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Send the photographs to me, I KNOW I can post them.

Best.

Photographs ADDED:

m190340b.jpg

m190340a.jpg

m190340.jpg

Best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The chamber markings that RCrosby describes are found on Greek Army Mannlicher-Schonauer rifles. They were made in Italy by Breda, for the Greeks during the late 20's. If in original military condition their quite uncommon and sought after by military rifle collectors. Many were imported as surplus during the 60's, in pretty beat up condition. A lot of gunsmiths bought them for rebuilding into sporters. Without quality photos it's hard to say what MFI has.

EDIT #1, Got this photo off the net of the chamber markings on one of the Italian made Greek Army rifles.

EDIT #2, The markings are from Steyr in Austria not Breda in Italy, makes it more unusual and perhaps would add substantial collector value. Most were made in Italy during the 20's. This one on the other hand is dated 1930 and it seems to have been made in Austria.

The posted photos don't show the end of the barrel and front sight of the rifle.It should have a full length handguard that extends to the upper barrel band, that also incorporates a bayonet lug.

Needs a hands-on with a knowledgeable dealer or very experienced military rifle collector, as it could prove to be a very valuable rifle.

EDIT #3, To establish a value for a virtually unknown variation is very difficult. As their is no known prior sales to base your estimate on.

If it were to be put on the auction and have multiple knowledgeable military rifle collectors start a bidding competition for it, my WAG would be it would go into the thousands.

EDIT #4, I would buy all I could get my hands on at Villafuego's prices! Greek Army rifles made in Austria not Italy, during the 1930's are virtually unknown to collectors. Even a Italian made one that was factory original, in the condition of the one shown in the photos would be worth more then that to a military rifle collector.

9751419_2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe,
    That's definitely the forward ring on the rifle in question. From the pics I've seen the rifle hasn't been altered and is in pretty good condition, though better close-ups would help.
    Nononsense,
    Just wouldn't want you to think that I was ignoring the ever present "sticky" on picture posting. It's the first thing I reviewed, and though I think I understand what I'm supposed to do, I've been unable to bend this little laptops will to my way.
    The rest is up to MFI, who I'm sure will send the pics to you, as he did to me.
    Good luck!
    Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys send me a message with your email address and I will send you the pics. Thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Guys send me a message with your email address and I will send you the pics. Thanks

Did you miss Nonsense's post? He requested that you send him the photos.

"Come on guys, there's a whole topic in a Sticky just above this which gives instructions on Posting Photographs.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Send the photographs to me, I KNOW I can post them.

Best."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pics are there ..What do we have ?
  • Options
    villafuegovillafuego Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greek 1930 Carbine.....400.00-700.00......just depends on who is bidding that day