In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Skeet / Trap Shooter "Youth Models"

old-dogold-dog Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have to buy my wife a skeeter / trap gun. She is like a teen kid. Can anyone recommend a light skeeter "youth" model that is accurate, well built and has a light recoil so she isn't thrown on her butt when she first fires at her targets? I realize the loads are more responsible for the recoil, but I understand that some guns are better designed in handling the recoil than others. I am looking for "light weight" "accurate" and well built, more that big time names or reputations. We are beginners.

Any suggestions from you "skeeters" and "trappers" out there? Thanks for you help as always...OD

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 1100 LT-20 Synthetic Youth

edit. I thought this would be good as its short on both ends already, has rib and chokes and could be used as a hunter or self defence one too. Maybe the range has some to rent to see what fits or that she likes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Not into synthetic stocks... Do you think the wood stocks make the gun all that much more heavy to use?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all very much.. I will look around for a 1100 w/ ribs.. I will also check with a few range masters I know This is agreat forum
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with the 1100. My daughter started out with an 1100LT-20 but quickly moved up to a 12GA 1100. The 12GA recoil with target loads in an 1100 is usually light enough for most shooters and the extra lead going down range will greatly imporve the scores.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    ZFor skeet the 1100s are great as are some of the Brow ning youth model O/Us but they are expensive. I ordered a Browning BT-99 youth model for a young man for singles in trp before Christmas, well his dad ordered it being it was the young man;s Christmas present. Again the BT-99 is a bit expensive. The bext advice so far that people have given you is the Remington 1100s but as to recoil, the new recoal reducing system that Browning is using on their O/u and single shot guns is great. I have an older Citori grade VI and shot a newer Citori Trap with the recil reducing butt padd and system in the stock, I loved it. Now even if the 1100 recoil is still a bit much, they still are selling the mecury tubes and the "dead mule" recoil reducers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you I will look at the Browning as I like them

I have an A-5 myself made in 1966 A real beauty...I trust Browning...Thanks Again.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skeeter/trap is not all one word, it is not all one game and it is not done best with one gun.
    Skeet is shot at targets of different directions and angles but at relatively close range. Conventional field stock dimensions are ok and an open choke is best. Noted shooter and coach Fred Missildine said the 20 gauge is a natural for Skeet, its 7/8 oz of shot is plenty. A Remington 1100 Youth Model would be good for your Lady.

A dedicated trap gun has a higher comb stock and a higher rib to handle the generally rising targets. They are always outgoing and modified or full choke is usual. A light 12 gauge load is plenty.
    A Remington 1100 TA with the stock cut to fit by somebody who knows how to make it comfortable for a woman would be about right.

I'd recommend she start on Skeet, if she wanted to branch out later, it seems to be easier for a Skeet shooter to learn Trap than vice versa.

Sporting Clays is tough and I would want a shooter to have a pretty good handle on the basics from Skeet and Trap before they tried the varied presentations of SC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hawk. I kneww that Trap & Skeet were different games but only "slashed" them in abbreviation. You have very good advice. I was looking at the youth model 1100 for her. There is a Rem Wingmaster 870 20 ga for auction here on GB. I am concerned the barrel is too long for her and the LOP might be uncomfortable. I am tempted to merely buy it for myself since is is in "cherry" condition and I need a nice Rem to compliment my Browning A-5 in 12 ga and my Winchester 12 in 16 ga. What the hell it's only money....LOL