In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oh blessed H&R top break, how I hate you.

DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
H&R top break, hammerless, .32, 6 shot.

The supplied trigger spring looks about twice as wide as it needs to be and is ridiculously heavy. It appears that the trigger spring (a V spring) should nest in the rear of the trigger but the one here is clearly outsized for the task.

Anyone help me out with a clue? Is this the wrong spring. Is there a different one? I've looked at Numrich and am more confused than ever.

Thanks.

I received this box o' poo as a bag of loose parts.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R's were the best of the cheapies. If the spring seems to be correct other than the width, use your Dremel and grind it down. Do overheat and draw the temper. Even if you get it up and working a 32 is not enough gun.

Yea I spent many a hr fixing Gramp's gun for little or no pay, better than watching TV and I hope it worked off some bad carma. The pics show a flat spring (#26) for OEM but a moderm music wire one for a replacement. Not unusual to require fitted parts. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7947
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I surely know that, but you know how customers are. "This was my Great Great Grandad's favorite whatever"
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you should tell them to leave it alone befor they break something. Keep it like it is for grand-pappy's sake.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These topbreak trigger springs seem overly heavy but as you will find
    there is a lot of drag and friction in those systems making heavy trigger return springs necessary. Try it before removing any metal.
    I believe you can get universal V springs from Brownells, Dixie and others if you screw this one up.
  • Options
    Texas BearTexas Bear Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was ask to repair a H&T top break this past January and found a lot of information at another forum. First the trigger spring goes in front of the trigger, not behind it. Look at this site for pictures. Some are for the hammer, not hammerless, but many parts are similar.
    http://www.{burp}.com/showthread.php?t=101695&highlight=Texas+Bear
    Also on the site:
    http://www.{burp}.com/search.php?searchid=3794569
    you will find lots of H&R information. Search on H&R and on
    Harrington and Richardson
    for more links and information. If you want to have it repaired by a professional, contact:
    sales@stonechimneytrading.com
    They will give you an estimate if you contact them.
    Hope you learn as much as I did and Have fun!! Texas Bear
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    There's a reason why gunsmith avoid fixing these guns. A tiny fraction of an inch too long or short on those inner flat springs, can cause a multitude of headaches.
    I used to know a man who liked to fix them. But he was a retired carrer Army Armorer and had the patience of Jobe.