In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope Question

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70...the sights are ok, but with my eye sight getting older I was wondering if a scope wouldn't be benificial...any thoughts and what type of scope..make model etc..

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm planning on adding a scope to my PTR-91, better known as a H&K G3 clone. Does anybody have any experience with the ATN line of scopes? This one has all the goodies that I'm looking for. If you have another suggestion feel free to let me know. The price range of this one is appealing to me.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40495033

This one is in the running too.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40494958

TIA[8D]

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.

Picture008.jpg

edited November -1
    I have a weatherby mark v .308 pistol with a 15 inch barrel. Does anyone know of a good scope with extended eye relief.

edited November -1
    looking at nikon buckmaster, leupold vari-x or burris fullfield any opinions of these. thinking of buying one for a heavy recoiling rifle. all seem to be within the same price range. will not be shooting this much and no expensive hunting trips in the near future. please don't tell me about the high end range of scopes, i know they are much better, i just can't afford one of those at this time.

edited November -1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7190635717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Any idea how these rate. Never heard of them. Looking for a scope for my shotgun. Thanks in advance

When the meekest of men raise their fist at you in defiance, you have lost. It is just a matter then of admitting it to yourself.

edited November -1
    Okay guys, i Redcently Received a Simmons 3-10x44 scope. I think its a 44mag series scope. Now the hard question, How do i dial in the scope. Its going to me Mounted on the carry handle of DPMS AR15 with a 20 inch upper. Do i just mount it on there, take a shot and try to adjust it from there. What do each of the turrets on the scope do, does the top turret make it go up and down, and the one on the side go left and right? Any help would be well appreciated!

Thanks Dave

edited November -1
    I love Leupolds but I don't love the price. Wal-Mart has a Leupold 4X12 for $250. Can anyone recommend a less expensive 4X12 that will be reliable and get the job done? Or should I just suck it up, say what the hey, it's only money and buy the Leupold? Would prefer recommendations based on your personal experience. Thanks.

edited November -1
    I have heard a lot about long eye relief scopes. It would seem to me that their must be some trade offs with them. What say you.

edited November -1
    What ever happened to the low profile scopes?

edited November -1
    Someone please tell me what the number designations mean, i.e. 3.5-10x50.

edited November -1
    I know putting a rifle scope on a B.B gun will damage the scope, but I have a cheap air rifle scope and am curious will putting it on my Marlin 39 .22 damage it. Not really worrying about damage, just curious if the reverse situation applies here too. [:)] Any expeience ??

edited November -1
    Gentlemen:
    Anybody know where I can get some information on a scope built by The Maxwell Smith Co. in L.A. It seams to be a fairly well built scope with very fine cross hairs and a small red field type of mount. Thanks

edited November -1
    I am looking at varmint scopes to put on a Winchester Varmint Rifle. I am looking at a 6.5-20, but don't know which one yet. I looked at a Swift Premium, and it said it had 80% light transmission and boasted of how good it was at dusk and low light conditions. I then looked at a Nikon and it said it delivered 95% light transmission. My question is, is there that much difference between the two, and does anybody have any experience with either of these 2 scopes to give me a little insight? Thanks You in advance.

edited November -1
    What would be a decent cheap scope for a cheapie mossberg 702 plinkster?

edited November -1
    I came across a 6.5-20x50AO Leupold scope, in excellent condition. It is late 70's or early 80's production. What's it worth?[?]

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Not a problem doing that, it's the reverse recoil in the springers that kills the rifle scopes..
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I figured it was something of that nature [;)]

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I know putting a rifle scope on a B.B gun will damage the scope, but I have a cheap air rifle scope and am curious will putting it on my Marlin 39 .22 damage it. Not really worrying about damage, just curious if the reverse situation applies here too. [:)] Any expeience ??

No, it shouldn't hurt your air rifle scope.

In fact some of the lower end scopes are advertised as for either .22 or air rifles.

What "kills" ordinary scopes is the double-recoil snap of PISTON driven air rifles. Basically after you pull the trigger the piston driving the pellet moves forward, expelling the pellet and causing a normal rearwards recoil impulse. So far so good, but when the piston hits the END of its travel moving forward, then it generates a rather harse reverse (ie forward moving) recoil impulse.

It's that FORWARD impulse that shakes the guts loose on conventional riflescopes not designed to handle it.

Needless to say, you don't get the same kind of harsh double-recoil impulse with ordinary .22 rifles.

Its also worth mentioning that you also don't get the double-recoil impulse with either pump-up airrifles (including many BB guns) or with CO2-driven air rifles. In theory, ordinary rifle scopes should work just fine on either of those two types of air-rifles, though in practice, the best scope for an air-rifle is probably going to be one specifically designed for an air rifle with low magnification, and short-range (or adjustable) parallax.
    edited November -1
    Good answer, sure did'nt know that about the pump up air rifle being different, may have to try a better scope on ole daisy pump -up [:)]