In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

hopkins allen cleaning

gun702gun702 Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
hi
what would be the best way to clean my hopkins allen underhammer blackpowder gun after shooting it.the barrel would be hard to take off.
thanks gun702

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make an extended nipple. Use tygon plastic tubing or fuel hose from nipple to the bottom of a coffee can of 3/4 full of hot soapy water. With a rag wraped around top of bbl use a tight patch on your fitted jag. About 10 strokes of the cleaning rod should do the job. Repeat with just boiling hot water. BBL should be hot enough to dry itself. Check with a dry patch, then patch with bore butter. Clean around nipple area with old tooth brush. Put antiseaze on the nipple threads when you go to put firing nipple back in to the rifle.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can also buy an adapter to replace the niple that will do the same thing.
  • gun702gun702 Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi
    thanks i would never thought of that.do you know where i can buy an adapter?
    thanks again gun702
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take an old nipple and drill out the flash hole. You can solder/epoxy a piece of metal tubing to it to give more room for the plastic tubing to friction fit. You should have a spair nipple or two anyway.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't understand why the barrel was so hard to take off. I haven't had mine apart in so long I had forgotten the small brass pin has to be driven out.
    Still it isn't that hard. Remove the ramrod, remove the screw behind the triggerguard/mainspring & find a small punch to drift the brass pin out. Once it's started you can pull it out.