In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

722 barrel in 300 savage

GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Rechamber to 308 winchester?

Comments

• Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why? The old 300 Savage is a nice cartridge.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on wtroper's comment. Handload for it--you'll like it! Also, if you're going to put it back on a 722, the magazine box is for a 2.6" cartridge, not the 2.8" of the .308.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be different - rechamber to 7.5 French ....[;)]

The OAL issue is important. If you don't reload then the shorter magazine length will cause an issue with factory loads. If you do reload - well, just as easy to reload for the 300 Savage as the 308 Winchester. The neck is a bit short on the 300 Savage, but not enough to be troublesome.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with wtroper, a classic caliber in a classic gun. Well suited for any deer size game. I have one myself in a 722 and love it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was obtained as a barreled action, no bolt. Remington fitted a bolt, and it is in a 700 bdl stock, with BDL bottom metal.Shilen trigger. I do reload, but am waiting on a magazine box at this point. The bore is immaculate, the outside finish is fading. Was made in 1955 according to the barrel markings. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have some 300 brass for reloading.
  • Options
    BeeboBeebo Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I asked similar question of some smiths, pretty easy to do as I understand. Not much metal to ream. I totally understand why a guy would want to do it too, trying to find any 3oo savage ammo around here is tough, and it is expensive. A mutt 722 300 savage has no collector value, and the .308 ammo is easy to find in great variety at decent prices, is also more powerful.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you've made up your mind. I wonder why you asked the question.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not yet. I have used both clibers, and have a soft spot for the 300.