In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt cannon 2

lowgapbulllowgapbull Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
continue the discussion

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    For anyone visiting this thread for the first time, here's the original:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=558465

Like I said, without some kind of provenance, you only have hearsay as to its origin. Still, it's an interesting and unusual piece.

I would send pics to Norm Flayderman and get his opinion. Odds are is that he has seen one in his many decades of collecting and dealing with unusual items. He's a longtime family friend and I'm sure he would be happy to assist you in any way he can.

His e-mail address is flayderman@aol.com

Please let us know what you find out from Norm or from any other source. I'd still take another shot at Colt for some type of letter, even if it's only an opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i will send the pics to him when i get home doing all this via mdt and thank you for your interest and help
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a long time Colt percussion collector with an extensive collection and Colt library.(I have everything in Flaydermans Colt bibliography plus....and I have read all of the books and phamphlets)
    I don't want to break your rice bowl, but I have never seen, heard of, or read about the Colt company in any of its permutations having had a miniature cannon.
    Just because it is stamped "Colts Patent" does not make it a Colt. There are many phony Colt percussion revolvers having the same mark on them....anyone can get their hands on such a die.
    From the pictures of this cannon, it strongly resembles a Chinese firecracker cannon because of the location of the touch hole in the bulb at the rear of the cannon. If the rear of the cannon screws off, that is what you have./ These miniatures were made in Taiwan and were very popular amongst American GI's in Asia during the 1960's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steg
    I am a long time Colt percussion collector with an extensive collection and Colt library.(I have everything in Flaydermans Colt bibliography plus....and I have read all of the books and phamphlets)
    I don't want to break your rice bowl, but I have never seen, heard of, or read about the Colt company in any of its permutations having had a miniature cannon.
    Just because it is stamped "Colts Patent" does not make it a Colt. There are many phony Colt percussion revolvers having the same mark on them....anyone can get their hands on such a die.
    From the pictures of this cannon, it strongly resembles a Chinese firecracker cannon because of the location of the touch hole in the bulb at the rear of the cannon. If the rear of the cannon screws off, that is what you have./ These miniatures were made in Taiwan and were very popular amongst American GI's in Asia during the 1960's.

Steg is correct. That's exactly why you need some authentication by Colt or a recognized authority. Otherwise, you have a novelty in the collecting world with a wide variety of speculation and opinions. I really hope you're able to get some bona fide provenance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok the cannon is one solid piece the back does not come off . Please understand this is a very old piece . I am in no way trying to pass off a cheap knockoff . the information i was given was from the colt archive at the conn state library .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lowgapbull
    ok the cannon is one solid piece the back does not come off . Please understand this is a very old piece . I am in no way trying to pass off a cheap knockoff . the information i was given was from the colt archive at the conn state library .

Well, to be honest, considering the genius of Sam Colt as well as the technology of artillery during his heyday, I can't imagine Sam making such a primitive sample of a cannon in an attempt to win government contracts. It's basically a smoothbore pipe with a hole in it and he would have had to present a much more advanced piece in order to garner interest from prospective buyers. In that light, I'm wondering if it wasn't some type of desk ornament or paperweight given as a gift, like a calling card. Alternatively, as previously mentioned, it may have simply been stamped "Colt's Patent" by someone in an attempt to either fool or impress others.

Again, without some provenance, everything that's said without documentation is simply an opinion which, like mine, carry no collector value.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that an arms company trying to sell the government a fleet of cannons would be demo-ing the real thing and not by a traveling salesman with a miniture, especially in the 1850's/60's, it just does'nt sound logical. I'm not saying your trying to mislead, I'm sure your using research info and that can be wrong too, just like me. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your cannon barrel does not appear to be a model of any military or signal cannon I have ever seen.
    As I stated in an earlier reply, no real cannon- including signal cannons- would have its touch (ignition) hole at the rear end of the barrel. the touch hole is always on the top of the barrel. In addition, the trunions (mounting studs in the middle of the barrel)of real cannon are always cylendrical in shape. In no cases were they flat and in no cases were they pierced with what appears to be screw holes.
    Lastly, although almost anything is possible when discussing antique original Colts, The number of fakes almost equals real Colts, and there are a lot of "Colts Patent" dies in existance.
    Your cannon will definately not fund your retirement. I just hope you weren't sold a bill of goods when you acquired it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The auction ended with a $600 bid without meeting the reserve. If that was mine, I'd grab that offer in a heartbeat. JMO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how do i offer this to the high bidder?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lowgapbull
    how do i offer this to the high bidder?

To prevent hanky-panky the folks who run the auction try to prevent any communications between buyers and sellers, other then questions during the auction. Your going to have to put it up for auction again.