In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Double Automatic

pfm41pfm41 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
All the barrels interchangeable without fitting? I have a steel receiver version and would like a second barrel.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Double Automatic with a SN of A44xx and would like to date it. It doesn't have the rivets at the back of the fore end but it does have the rounded fore end and the short-radius round knob stock. It came with a 25.5" recessed rib skeet barrel and a plain matted 27.5" modified barrel. It makes a perfect companion for the steel frame one that I have with a recessed rib 29.5" full choke barrel. All barrels interchange. Do the serial numbers for both the alloy and the steel models run in sequence with only the letter prefix different or do they have separate sequences? I would also like to know when Browning make the various changes such as the fore end contour, stock radius, solid recessed rib to vent rib. I know that at some point they started to prefix the sn with a year but prior to that they are somewhat of a mystery.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have any info on the Browning Double Automatic? A friend of mine said he has one for sale or trade. I won't see him until this weekend. He tried describing it to me. He said it is a semi-auto shotgun with only a two shell capacity that loads from the left side of the shotgun. He said it was used for skeet or trap. I did some looking in the book(s) as far as value goes, and he seems to be in the ballpark. Is it a shooter or a collector?Roy
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, in my experience the barrels are interchangeable; at least on the alluminum alloy receiver models. Be aware though that there are several different versions of the Double Auto. The first one, think it was initial production anyway, had a steel receiver and the butt stock and forearm are not exactly the same as the later versions. I'm not sure about the barrel. Then there is the Twentyweight version which was supposed to duplicate the weight of a 20 gauge but was still a 12. I'm not sure if the Twentyweight barrels are interchangeable with the standard Double Autos.