In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

All chrome Springfield Kreg

BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I put a add for info in want add's and was told to ask here so here gos I have a all chrome Springfield 30/40 kreg it has a date of 1898 but on the stock it has another 1900 date the rifle is in great shape and the boor is dark but no pits and the groves are real good it has long range sights and is the long rifle type stock is very nice no cracks and it has a leather sling strap Now my question I think this was a preade rifle has anyone else got one and can anyone tell me a bit about its worth this is a real fine rifle and I have shot it once and it shoots and hits its target. I don't know much about these rifles and hope one of you can help me you can e mail at leathermanjp@bignet.net and please fellas be nice to the old farmer. BiggerHammer24[:)]

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it's a parade gun,but you can check it out on this forum
    http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/krag/krag.pl You don't have to register to post.

[8D]

ATF
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with ATF, this sounds like a parade rifle from some type of veterans group. It has to be remembered that in the 1920's and '30's the government made these rifles available to veterans organizations for as little as a $1.25 each. I have seen some of these drill teams with chromed rifles, bayonets and helmets all tricked out with white rifle slings, bayonet frogs and belts. The date 1898 on the receiver of the rifle is the model, the date 1900 on the stock is the date of final inspection when the rifle was placed into the military storehouse ready for issue. The dark bore is due to fireing black powder blanks and not properly cleaning the rifle afterwards. When this rifle was chromed it was considered as no big deal, just as cutting up 1898 Mausers in order to make sporters is looked at today. Now that the Krag rifle is a sought after collectable it makes you sick to see what was done to some of these rifles.
  • Options
    BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help I also was a gun dealer a few years back but as you get older your memory kinda slips a little. Can you fellas tell me if I sell this rifle if I have to send it dealer to dealer sence it is a old rifle and more a colector type? I would like to find some one that would take care of the old girl. Thanks for all the help BiggerHammer24[:)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If it is a model 98 it is possible that it doesn't need to go through an FFL IF it was made before Jan 1., 1899. There are places to find this out. Given the 1900 date on the stock, I would believe that it does, in fact, need to go to an FFL dealer or C&R liscence holder.

Given that the finish is not original and chromed at that, you probably won't get more than $200-$400 for it, though it would be a nice project for someone to restore. Since the finish can't be made any worse, rebluing would at least restore original appearence.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf