In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

how many shots to break in barrel

19111911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was reading cowdocs posting on breaking in his rifle barrel and i was wondering if this is the same procedure for hand guns, is there a break in procedure for handgun barrels?

Comments

• Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my grandfather always said at least 100 rounds before she'll shoot right, and i believe him. i've never seen anyone that shot groups like him, or with as many trophys. so to answer your question...i don't know. that's what works for gramps, so that's what i go with. cody
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    It might take a few rounds to get used to the ballistics of a brand new barrel but I've never really noticed any performance difference between the first round and the 500th except that the gun loosened up a bit and feeds the rounds a little better.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I wonder if all these break-in procedures are any different than just shooting a few shots with your new rifle, clean it, put it away, never a thought of breaking in. Repeating this for 50 or 100 shots over a year or two or three. How is this any different? Are you breaking it in and not aware of it? Could a rifle that's treated like this be considered to be "broken in", able to compete with one that went thru one of the many so-called approved procedures? If so, I've got some rifles that are "broke-in" and didn't know it.
    Just heard that Capt. Kirk was admitted to a hospital for chest pain, so we're free for a while.
    Hope he's doing o.k., haven't heard any more. He's nearby, I'll try to check on him.
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only reason to break-in a barrel would be to elliminate the microscopic burrs leftover from the manufacturing process. These burrs strip jacket material from the bullet. The shoot- clean method is supposed to iron them out. Top barrel makers accually bore them slighty undersize and then lap them to proper diamater, I read that somewhere, I'm not really that smart. As far as how many rounds before cleaning is immaterial, as long as all of the fouling is removed.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Think about it. Does your rifle know if the bullet going down the bore is supposed to kill the animal it's heading for, or is it just a break-in tool to smooth up the surface?
    All the same, aren't they?

If I need another shot at a charging bear, should I swab the bore first because I should do so on the 3rd shot?

Nothing wrong with extensive break-ins,- helps ammo dealers, gives you practice, but I don't think it's neccessary unless you're getting large groups and think you can help them shrink.
    Sure won't hurt.
    Just don't forget the chicken!!