In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington rangemaster model 37

docbluedocblue Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
hey, i love this site--it's great i have a remington model 37 rangemaster 22l bolt action with a world class -plus 24 x 50 scope. it's in pretty decent shape with a few minor blemishes. was just wondering what it may be worth??? and how do they match up as far as compettion shooting goes?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In my opinion these Remington 37's are just as good today as they were 60+ years ago! These were well built and very accurate rifles and would still be very good competitors today. The Winchester 52B Target Rifles of the same time period proved more popular with shooters of the era and collectors today, but your Model 37 will still hold its own. There is collector interest in these and any Model 37 in decent shape should bring better than $500 and the price hardly falls off much with condition, since they are still highly valued for their shooting abilites. Take it out to the range and have some fun with it...and I'll bet a lot of old timers will appreciate seeing one of these again.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    In my opinion these Remington 37's are just as good today as they were 60+ years ago! These were well built and very accurate rifles and would still be very good competitors today. The Winchester 52B Target Rifles of the same time period proved more popular with shooters of the era and collectors today, but your Model 37 will still hold its own. There is collector interest in these and any Model 37 in decent shape should bring better than $500 and the price hardly falls off much with condition, since they are still highly valued for their shooting abilites. Take it out to the range and have some fun with it...and I'll bet a lot of old timers will appreciate seeing one of these again.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey! thanks for the info!! when were the 37's released and used? i dont know much @ their history--but thanks!!
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Doc, the Rangemaster was produced in two variations: The first was manufactured from 1937 to 1940, had the typical 22" heavy barrel, Remington peep sight, and a uncheckered target stock. When first introduced, a barrel band held the forward section of the stock to the barrel. Later the forearm was modified and the band was eliminated. In 1940 Remington changed the Model 37 design slightly by adding a high combed stock, beavertail forearm and an updated trigger mechanism- the so called "Mricle Trigger". This new Model 37 continued in production until 1954. By that time the Remington Model 513 Matchmaster had pretty much eclisped the 37 in sales and with the new Remingtom Model 40 entering the market in 1955, the Model 37 time had come and gone.

I think there were something like 12,000 Model 37's produced in both types. Strangely enough and dispite years of research, I can not find any offical use of the Remington Model 37's by our military. Uncle Sam purchased Remington Model 40's, 513T, 514T, and 521T, but the Model 37 seems absent from any listings I've ever seen. I hope this information helps you.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1