In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

L C Smith

wfkwfk Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have an L C Smith 16ga.(at least 16ga shells fit in the chambers), SN68xx marked on splinter forearm along with Pat't May 28, 1901, Barrels, watertable along with what looks like Pat't Mar 28 83 and a couple of numbers below but can't make them out. Has double triggers, auto ejectors, bright shiny bores, unique pattern on both barrels, no sign of blueing anywhere, Says L C Smith on each side and some light scroll engraving, Stock has no cracks, great checkering and excellent wood to metal fit. Hard buttplate with no markings. Can't seem to find and information as to grade or approximate value so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Walt

Comments

• nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    You failed to tell us if hammered or hammerless, but here's what I do know based on the information provided...

You have a damascus tubed gun. A very nice gun, but considered by many as unsafe to shoot with any load. And never to be loaded with smokeless powder.

Look on the watertable and on the barrel flats for a serial number. The grade will appear there also. Elcees produced at the time your gun was manufactured will bear grade in numbers. A bit later they went to letter grades. For instance: FW12345 would indicate a featherweight field gun. Yours might be a "0" or a "1" ... or might lack any designation depending on the year of manufacture and the grade. And obviously, a "0" is just a field gun. Anything above that will have some engraving.

One more question... Ejectors or extractors? Most (but not all) field guns were made with extractors.

And one further comment upon a reread of your post... I now believe you have an "Ideal" grade gun based upon the engraving described on the sideplates. That would fit in much better with ejectors.

Nord
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nord,You are steering him in the right direction, but based on his rather general description, I don't think that he has an Ideal Grade. Ideal Grades (and all post 1913 guns) would have the grade stamped on the top of the right barrel. "Light scroll engraving" sounds like 00 or higher. WFK,take Nord's suggestion and look carefully for a number, like 0, 00, 1, 2, etc stamped near the serial number on the water table and get back to us with that and the other info. that Nord requested.
  • wfkwfk Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your help. L C Smith is a hammerless and I did find what looks like a "1" and the letter "F" below the serial # on the barrel flats. Other numbers on the watertable look like ???? 13,86 and Oct 5, 86. Hope this give you more information to go on.

Walt
    edited November -1
    Laxcoach is more correct than I in that the later guns would have been marked on the barrel. Your gun somewhat predates those with such stampings and is damascus.

As your info stands I'll still make the same call, but in slightly different terms. And you still didn't make clear... ejectors or extractors?

Your gun (by the numbers supplied) is a field gun, but a nice one. I'd place it in about the same class as the later "Ideal" guns. Value will be reduced because of the tube construction... But still a very nice gun!

Nord
    edited November -1
    Yes, the gun has automatic ejectors. Thanks again for you help. Any idea of approximate value? But not for sale.
    edited November -1
    Pretty tough to call as I can't see and hold the gun. Let me assume that since it's not for sale anyway, I won't insult you with my opinion...

The nearer to perfect your gun is, the more collector interest there will be. If the gun is at above 90% NRA, then a fair method of determining a ballpark price might be as follows:

Field grade Elcee 90%+ in 12 or 16 ga. $550.00 to $650.00
    Ideal Grade or equiv. add 20%
    Ejectors add 20%
    Damascus Tubes deduct at least $200.00

What we end up with is a gun that probably isn't too far out of the $500.00 class. Again, just an opinion based on the local market, a bit of experience, and your description.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Again thanks for your help. Couple of last questions.
    Since there is no sign of blueing anywhere, was the gun ever blued? and could I use barrel inserts and shoot 410ga. shells?

Walt
    edited November -1
    Damascus guns were browned. Receivers were case hardened. Metal "in the rough" is a no no.

The gun will certainly fit inserts, but there's no reason to be afraid of black powder loads if the tubes are in the kind of shape I think they are.

It's nice to know that you care.

Nord