In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cartridge Adapter Q's

magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of trying one of the adapters that allow you to shoot 7.62x39 ammo in a 30-06 bbl. They are available at E. Arthur Brown company. Anyone have any experience with this exact unit or something similar. I will be using it in a Savage 110.

I am wondering what effect the .308 bore will have with the .311/.312 {?} bullet.

The 7.62x39 rim is app .025" smaller than the 06 and may actually extract.

First post here. Looks like a great place to visit.

Thanks
Ray

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do it. If you want a cheap shooter, buy a SKS. The adapter will likely require the use of Loctite to keep it in place and you will also have the tolerance issues which you already described. Use the 30.06 for power and precision and save the 7.62x39 for the pop cans and cats.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well welcome to the forum, I personally wouldn't do it. You are talking .002 thousands per side larger on the bore. It sure isn't going to help it sending a larger bullet down the barrel. Just might also affect your accuracy in the .308 when you start shooting it again. To me it isn't worth the risk.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the forums mag...

I'd agree - it's not worth the risk. If you want to shoot that ammo, buy a cheap sks or something. If you want some cheaper plinking, get a reloader (if you don't already have one).

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray, welcome aboard.

As to advice on your question, one word: don't. There have been all kinds of chamber inserts marketed over the past 100 years or so. None were ever very popular and this one is a worse idea than most of those, which at least fired smaller cartridges with the same bullet diameter. I've tried a few of the Winchester and Marble's designs . . . my results were the same as those who criticized them at the time they were made - mediocre accuracy while anything from awkward to PITA to use. Only practical use for a chamber insert is to accustom a new shooter to the operation of a particular weapon using low cost / low recoil ammo. That is not the case here.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I'm assuming your plan is to shoot the cheap surplus ammo that is available. It is probably not a good idea. There might be some merit to this idea if you reload and use .308 size or cast bullets in your loadings but I'm not sure the savings would be much more significant than downloading the 06.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am really just after some cheap paper punching without having to reload. Plus it would be a learning experience.

I would also like to try some of the sabots that allow you to shoot 22 cal bullets in .30 cal bbls. I have many boxes of 55gr .224 bullets that I need to "dispose" of <g>. Load some of the bullets in 223 cases and some in sabots and compare the groups. This is with my Savage 110 switch bbl set-up I am putting together.

I am also going to buy some of the 22lr to 223 adaptors from EABCO. Shoot groups out of my 10/22 and the 110 using the same ammo and see which does better.

Should be fun.

Ray
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I discovered a surprising fact while browsing a reloading fourm. The Ruger mini 30 bbl is.308 not .311.

Sounds like the 7.62x39 surplus stuff would be fine down the 06 tube with the EABCO adapter. Now wheather or not it would feed, extract or eject is something I would only find out by trying it :).

Ray