In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pre-ban ruger 10-22?

ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
i was told my 2 ruger 10-22 are pre ban because of the serials. one is in a safe up north, but the one i shoot is prefix 230-######. is this true? and if so, what is the difference? oh yeah, is it worth any more because of this? i'm not looking to sell either, just curious. thanks, cody

Comments

• ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that's what i thought, i had never heard of any pre-ban center fire rifles, and for the 10-22....just seemed stupid. but i had to ask, just incase. thanks alot, cody
    edited November -1
    i meant rim-fire! sorry, cody
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1994 Crime Bill did affect rimfire rifles too (that needs to be made clear).

Ruger's 10/22 never came from Ruger's factory with features that made it an "assault" weapon (and I believe this is what Dano is refering to in his comment).

After-market products were (and are) available which add features which can make the 10/22 into what the government considers an "assault weapon."

If somebody had a 10/22 configured, with after-market products, into an "assault" weapon before the 1994 Crime Bill, the gun is now legal to own in it's configuration. The gun is considered to be "grandfathered."

It would now be illegal (a felony) to assemble any 10/22, no matter when Ruger manufactured it , into an "assault weapon" configuration.

The ONLY legal 10/22's with assualt weapon features, like pistol grip folding stocks, flash-hiders, etc. are those that were in that configuration before Sept. 1994. Such guns can be worth a premium to those who are concerned about "following the law" (or atleast those who wouldn't want to be "hassled" by ATF if ATF got aggressive on this issue)--for example, I would not sell my legally grandfathered 10/22 with assault weapon features even if someone offtered me $500 for it, a price well in excess of what you can buy a 10/22 for and the components to make it look like mine.

Whether or not I could sell my legally configured assault weapon 10/22 for its value to me, is another question...
    edited November -1
    i appreciate the responses, and i'm converting all my guns as we speak, lol. i was just curious after hearing my rifles were "pre-ban". now that mention it, i have seen a few rimfires affected by the ban. i just couldn't imagine any 10/22 before the ban being an "assault rifle". i say that because all the so called banned stuff for them is so readily available, folding stocks, flash hiders, hi-cap mags, and ect. but i'm glad it was clarified. i thank you all very much, and i'm not really converting my weapons, quite happy how they are. thanks again, cody
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only problem with the 1994 bill is that it helped spawn copycat legislation that will not go away and will likely be enforced by idiot politicians (sorry for that redundancy). [:(!]

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger started making the 10/22 with the serial numbers 230-25136 and above in 1989. If your guns serial number is lower than that it was made in 1988.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • oz652oz652 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are two sites that offer serial-date info:

http://www.mp5.net/info/preban.htm#Ruger (click RUGER)

http://www.sportables.com/ruger_rifles.htm (scroll down)

I am sure there are more, but there is alot of controversy from
    june-september 1994 (Ruger was preparing and fifo did'nt apply)
  • maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    according to what i just read posted by rugerniner and oz652, the 10/22 i recived as a gift on december 25, 1988 was built in 1989. how is that possible? i know it was then. i , like my brother and fater, gaot a .22 for christmas after turning 13. the numbers and dates are a guidline. mine shows that.

SGT USMC

The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    On any Ruger 10/22 you CANNOT have any more than 2 of the naughty items installed. These inlude but are not limited to.........

1) Flash hider

2) Hi-cap mags

3) Folding stock

4) Pistol grip

And what else I'm not sure. Sucks, Huh? I'm now in the process of putting a folding stock and flash hider and hi-cap mag and pistol grip and whatever else on my semi-auto Winchester Mod. 1400 Mk II shotgun.[:D][:D][:D][;)]

Howya like me now Saxon!!!