In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German / Austrian Scopes

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I know this is weird but could you guys give me the names of the more popular scopes from there? I have a beautiful Voere rifle that has a jap scope on it. Blaspheme I tell you!
Thanks

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zeiss, Leica, and my personal favorite..Swarovski. Kahles is made by Swarovski. You'll spend a little more but the quality of these optics are unbelieveable. People who are price shoppers can't comprehend the difference...people who buy quality know why it costs more.

A fine rifle with a cheap scope is like putting blackwall tires on a Rolls Royce....(cheezy) [:)]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    From Germany we have: Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender, Stiener, Doctor Optic, Hensoldt, and Kaps. There are other lesser known makers, but this should get you started. From Austria: Kahles and Swarovski. Any of these manufacturers would be a fine choice for your Voere. In Europe, Doctor Optic and Kaps are considered one of the better buys in quality optics, although neither are widely known or marketed here in the United States.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. I was only familiar with Swarovski, I brought my wife back some crystal from Wein last spring. Unfortunately, those scopes cost more that the car I drive to work! I may ask my friend who lives in Salzberg to help me find something not marketed here. Perhaps I could find a real deal.

Again, thanks for the info.

• Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your Voere german or Austrian. I have a Austrian Voere model 2165 in 30:06 that I put a Swarovski 3X9 [1in tube] on. I am very happy with this set-up.... [:)]
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Schmidt & Bender is probably the best scope made. They are the only handmade scopes out of the big name German scopemakers. Alex Roy sells all the high end German scopes for the best prices in the country. He to says the Schmidt & Bender is the best. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and found that the guys who can afford anything, still choose Schmidt & Bender. Alex has a website, eurooptic.com and his email is panfish12@hotmail.com .

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gn1,

I have two. One is a semi auto 22LR. The other is a .243 bolt action. It is called a Couger but can't find it in the Blue Book. Do you know anything about that model? I have had the 22 for about a year. Last May I went to Salzburg to visit a friend from work who is there for a couple of years. I had been e-mailing Voere for a few weeks and went to the factory in Kufstein to buy a few small parts. It wasn't that far from where I was. They are a large high precision machine shop. The firearm business is just a small part of what they do. As far as I know, they produce no other products for the general market. These scopes, the guys have mentioned, are probably more than I can afford. The .243 came with this jap scope. Maybe I'll just put a mid-range USA made scope on it. I just thought an original type scope would be nice.

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the IOR Valdada scopes.

I will agree with the optics on the austrian stuff being top notch, but they are still overpriced. You don't get enough features for that kind of money. The NXS Nightforce scopes come with tactical knobs, illuminated reticle, 30mm tubes, and fully coated optics. I can't see any optical difference that makes me want to spend the same money on an S&B, Swarovski, or Zeiss, for less features.

If it has to be german, take a good hard look at the IOR Valdada scopes, they are some fine looking rigs.

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.