In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

all round shotgun???

docbluedocblue Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
looking for a shotgun that could be used for duck/turkey hunting--an all round gun that is suitable for that type hunting--any suggestions? thanks

Comments

• Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 gauge Remington 870 with a full choke. Then buy a turkey barrel. That's actually just a tighter choke. The full choke alone will do if you're on a budget like the rest of us. You can get a rifle sighted barrel for deer as well. Just remember to pattern the barrel so you know exactly where and how well it shoots every load.
  • Options
    ArkansastimArkansastim Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, I would opt for a Benelli. If you like pumps, go with the Nova. If you like semi-autos, go with the Super Black Eagle. I have 3 SBE's and they have never let me down. Last year, I took a duck hunting trip to Stuttgart, AR and all the guides were using Novas. They seemed to be well built as well.

If you didn't want to spend very much, I would look at the 870 Express line from Remington. The nice thing about a Remington is that if anything ever does go wrong with it, you can get it fixed almost anywhere. There are also many aftermarket parts/add ons for them.

Hope my 2 cents helps!
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you decide on, be sure to get one with screw-in chokes. Full choke and steel shot don't get along !
  • Options
    boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Ren 11-87 sp. for all my duck and turkey hunting. It's been a very reliable shotgun.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too agree (with arkansastim) that if money isn't an option go with the Benelli Super Black Eagle. I've had mine for 10 years and it does absolutely everything from 1oz 2 3/4 loads to 3 1/2 mags, with nothing to adjust, you can drop in shells in any order and it'll fire them. You just can't shoot the 'el cheapo 2 3/4" loads in them...

On a budget, I'd also suggest the 870 Rem as my first choice, or a Win 1300 black shadow for my 2nd choice (just because it is slightly more expensive)

good luck

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much are you going to spend?I like Semi Autos Remington browning benelli,Next a SxS or over/under Browning,ruger,weatherby,Ithaca winchester,I could go on
    American arms has a 12 ga 31/2 mag sxs for about 400 bucks
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Have to get a 870 or 1187 have killed ever thing from deer to turkeys to bunnies with um great guns cant go wrong with either
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Remington 870, these are probably the most proven pump out there, and they hold their value better than any other scattergun out there. The proof is in the resale values, wheather it's ten years old or ten days old, they still fetch close to the same price as they sold for origanlly, good luck...
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For economy/reliabilty/effectiveness, I would opt for the Model 870 Express. The plain old "Drug store" model cannot be beat.
  • Options
    smith629smith629 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the beretta 391 urika gold , 12 ga. its a super nice gun.Comes with 4 choke tubes and is good with steel shot.Never had a miss fire or a hang up.Adjutable stock comes with all the shims to fit the owner.Has a built in recoil reduction system.And it runs real clean,a skeet shooter went 3000 rounds without cleaning his and still didnt have a single mis fire,pretty reliable. Its hard to beat a beretta. smith629
  • Options
    jinxerjinxer Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my browning gold fusion. But get what ever fits you the best.
  • Options
    rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oooldmanoooldman Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the Mossberg M500 with screw in choke tubes you can shoot anything and a riffled slug barrel is also available for deer hunting.I like Mossberg becuase it is much less expensive than Rem 870
    but most because the SAFETY is on the back of the reciever to be operated by thumb. It has very low resale value but is one well made and functional.[^]
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FOR DUCKS AND TURKEYS, I WOULD USE A GUN CHAMBERED FOR 3" SHELLS OR 3.5" THAT EXTRA PUNCH SEEMS TO HELP WITH THE STEEL SHOT FOR ME,AND I DONT EVEN NOTICE RE-COIL WHEN SHOOTING AT LIVE TARGETS. CHOKE TUBES ARE A SMART CHOICE, YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND THE MODIFIED WORKS WELL WITH STEEL FOR DUCKS, AND THE FULL WITH LEAD FOR TURKEYS. EACH TUBE IS GOING TO PATTERN DIFFERENTLY SO YOU'LL HAVE TO TRY VARIOUS COMBINATIONS UNTIL YOU FIND THE ONE THAT BEST FITS YOUR SITUATION. AS FAR AS BRANDS GO, I, LIKE EVERONE ELSE ,HAVE MY FAVORITES BUT I WONT GET INTO THAT. TRY TO SHOOT A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT BRANDS BEFORE BUYING ONE, IT WILL HELP ALOT IN DETERMINING WICH ONES YOU LIKE! GOOD LUCK! {MY $135.00 MOSSBERG KILLS THE SAME AS MY $700.00 BROWNING}
  • Options
    Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally wouldnt want to use anything but my old trusty Winchester model 12 pump 12 gauge 32" barrel. It is amazing!

Dustin K. Griffin
  • Options
    GotdeereGotdeere Member Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wondered the same thing a few years ago but couldn't afford a Benelli, Browning, or Beretta so I went with the Remington 1187 Camo with 26" barrel, 3" Chamber with the screw-in chokes. The only extras that I bought was a turkey choke and Tru-Glo sights. To say the least I very happy with it.

Preciate it.
  • Options
    LABWILDLABWILD Member Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is hard to beat a Mossberg 835 for turkey and duck. The price is right, but they do kick. If you are willing to spend more take a look at the Browning Golds.