In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Article on Savage Barrel Change?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Guns & Ammo article with the 'how to' change the barrel on a savage?

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont know if this helps Midway sells a kit for the savage a quick change for the 110/111 and I think 112, and has all the stuff you need
    Head space guage Etc. Looks like a cool kit. For "Infield barrel swapping. Might be worth a look at-

gun1.gif

God Bless Our Troops
  • Options
    TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    alaska - I have the (a similar) article in the American Rifleman from last month. If you would like a copy of it, email me your snail mail address and I will make a copy and send it to you.

"A Fear of Weapons is a sign of Retarded Sexual
    and Emotional Maturity" Sigmund Freud
    "MOLON LABE !"
  • Options
    rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    E-mail an address and I will send the G&A magazine to you.

Rockton
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would it be possible to post that article here?
  • Options
    magmag Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am doing one of these now. I bought a 30-06 off the auction site and got a .223 blue bbl and a .308 SS bbl off Ebay. I would really have prefered a short action but the 06 was a good deal and the 1/2" difference is not worth another $200.

Now if someone were to offer to swap a .243 for my 06 then I would do it :-)

I am going to make my own bbl vise and may make the action wrench. I just need to buy the bbl nut wrench and the .223 bolt head.

I don't see me doing the swap at the range. You still need to strip the bolt to check the headspace and it would be too easy to loose some of the small bits.

I will practice with the .223 and hunt with the .308. The 06 bbl is definitely something I do not need. I thought about seeing if it could be shortened and rechambered to 7.62X39 but I bet the taper won't leave enough meat for the threads. By the time you payed a gunsmith to do the work you could probably just buy a bbl from Midway.

The main advantage I see to the multi caliber system is you only have to buy one trick trigger, or other upgrades. You can shoot the gun a bunch with the small, cheap caliber and then switch to the big-un for hunting.

I have arthritis in my neck and can't tolerate much bench shooting with anything that kicks.

There is a .300 RUM bbl and bolt head on Ebay now. I will not be bidding you can be sure !!

Ray
  • Options
    alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My e-mail is alnilutsik@hotmail.com That would be great if I could get that! Thanks a bunch guys!