In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to soften leather quickly-Holster

IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Got a new leather holster stiff as a board. How can I soften it quickly?. Cant take over 24hrs, going on the road for a week, Sunday AM.
Thanks
Walte

Comments

• tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walte, I think this is mission impossible if the leather is very thick but you may try liberal doses of neatsfoot oil and knead/work the devil out of it. It will most likely darken the lether if it isn't very dark to start with. Luck, Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try this on a junk holster first. Delay the project till time is not a factor. But if you must: --- Hot water, not boiling, add a tad of detergent and soak leather till it gets as soft as you want it. It will dry in whatever shape or position you leave it in. If empty it may sag toward flat. If you want it to fit your gun, wrap your gun in plastic to protect it from the wet and put it in the holster till it dries. This will leave the leather pretty stiff when it dries. If you want it to stay soft after it dries you can rub in neatsfoot, saddle soap, mink oil or other product. Even so, it will not be really soft. Also the finish on the leather will suffer from this.
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Soft for what purpose? You don't want a soft holster. Follow rhmc24's instructions only leave out the soap. Plain hot water will do it.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    clone 2.... Baseball glove oil works pretty good, it both softens the leather and conditions it. It probably will take more than 24hrs.
  • k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There realy isnt any way to accomplish what you want by sunday. leather needs to be broken in with time, oils will take time to get worked in enough for you to notice a major difference, as far as a soft holster, boy i wouldnt want it, break it in with the gun then the fit is assured.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to wear new combat boots in the shower and use a stiff nail brush with saddle soap. I'd dig globs of saddle soap out of the can with the nail brush and scrub scrub scrub. Then I'd wear em around wet until I had to take them off. This might be an idea but I'd be sure to wrap the gun first. I wouldn't put the gun in the holster while soaking and scrubbing it with saddle soap.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    IDSMAN75, you were the closest!...
    What I did, got a can oil mink oil paste, oiled the heck out off the holster inside & out.
    Then took the gun and placed it into a old heavy crew sock. Placed the gun with the crew sock into the holster, shoved it in as far as it would go. Left the socked gun in the holster overnight. Next morning, the holster was soft & plyable & the pistol fits perfectly, not too tight or loose, perfect for carry.
    Thanks again to all you gun nuts.
    Gotta go, burning up the bosses cell phone using the internet.
    Next stop Homestead fl.
    Walte