In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying a stripped lower for a AR 15

2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of building a AR in post ban configureation while I can. ( thank you BUSH) What I need to know is about lower recivers stripped no guts. I'll worrie about the rest later.

What I would like to know is :

1 who make the top of the line lowers and how much they will cost?

2 who makes the mid line lowers and what do they cost and what are the problems with them.

3 who makes the junk and why?

4 witch ones will accept all mil spec parts?

5 what can I expect to pay for a good top to mid line lower reciver?

6 can I buy a good stripped lower for around 100 bucks?

7.which ones have the odd pins?

8. which ones have the blocks in them?

9.do some makes wear out?

10.what is the strongest, best backed ,most inexpencive, multi purpose receiver on the market today?

I am planning to buy one to start a post ban AR a bout the end of feb.

Any info would be helpful . Thanks 2gun.

IT"S better to die by fire then serve by force

Comments

• Options
    wm69wm69 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to get an olympic arms (get forged, not cast) for under $100 (stripped). The colt have the weird size pins and are quite a bit higher. Bushmasters are good, but a little more than the oly. I haven't seen the Rock River, but I've heard good things; don't know how much they are. All should be more or less equal in quality, and all should take mil spec parts except for the colt won't take the standard size pins. Unless you're gonna shoot 500,000 rounds I wouldn't worry about the lower itself wearing out, get an extra lower parts kit (for springs etc). Do a search on AR15s; there is an ar15 forum that should tell you anything you want to know.
  • Options
    seancodyseancody Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Check out the forums on www.AR15.com. There is a specific discusion thread devoted to this subject
    2. Eagle Arms (Armalite uses these as the basis for thier rifles) is available from Quanitico arms for $100.00
    3. Armalite, Bushmaster, Olympic and Rock River seem to get high marks on a regular basis from the regulars.
    4. Forged receivers are the only way to go. Stay away from the cast ones.
    5. Hesse is BAD!
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, stay away from cast. Everybody is pretty much using the same prints, so mil- spec parts won't be a problem. The Colt's have the small pins,(odd size trigger pins to) and the blocked reciever. If it's a little loose use the "Accu-wedge" and don't worry about it she'll still shoot. If finish is an issue, go with the same manufacture on upper and lower, 'cause not all finishes are created equal.
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to AR15.com, check the equipment exchange. Look for a guy who posts by the name of Pete-in-NH. Word has it that he has some pretty good prices.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I've narrowed it down to (EAGLE ARMS,DMPS,RRA,AND OLYMPIC)and I've joined AR15.COM.Of the 4 listed which one has the best warranty,best other parts I.E. uppers and lower parts,most parts,cheapest parts,best to match the most other makers parts in collar,and most trusted?

Thanks to everyone who responded you have all been a big help and I will keep everyone informed as the build progressies.

P.S. if I can get a camo lower that will probably be the tie braker.

• Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Why not get a fully assembled lower receiver from Bushmaster, $280.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Boomerang Bushmaster makes a grate product and from what I've seen there are 2nd to none but I beleive the others I listed are of equal quality and alot less in price so I don't beleive I want to pay extra for a name alone .The reason I want a stripped lower is because I want to build it my self ,research the parts find the best product that fits my needs and assemble it my self them it will be my gun and a one of a kind.

• Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    OK - A stripped lower Bushy can be had for $140. An additional $40 well spent.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    where can I find a bushy stripped lower for 140?

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Complete Rock River lowers go for about $125 dealer cost. Figure mark up from you local dealer.

As always I say go for the Rock River.

Regards,
    Got Da Bling Bling?
    Itchy-01.gifRunForYourLives-01.gifbatboy.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks drobs but I was also told RRA lower parts are'nt as good as bushmasters,dmps and armalites? is this true?also I probably will want a N\M 2 stage adjustable trigger,diffrent pistil grip and I haven't even thought about stocks yet so buying a fully assembled lower would be kinda of a waist would'nt it?