In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gun safes

hasbeenhasbeen Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a gun safe. can any one tell me where to look for the best prices, also, any suggestions as to brand?

appreciate the info.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i recently purchased a stack on brand gunsafe. while i realize that a 28 gun safe for $700 has got to be around bottem of the barrel for value it was all i could afford i and figure its better then nothing. my question is who makes the best safes? cannon, fort knox, or some other brand? id like to upgrade someday. just wondering what my options are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have a pentagon gun safe? And if so how is the quality and does it have easy access to your rifles. I was thinking of buying the defender model.

Larry w. Jose
  • Options
    edited November -1
    has anyone seen or heard of pentagon gun safes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    there are so many fire proof gun safes out there for sale , i want to buy one , but which is a good one to check in to. , fire proof , 20-40 gun capacity . thanks ron .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know I have asked this before,but. Has anyone heard of Fort Knox or Homeland Security gun safes? I know you all had said Liberty. What I'm looking for is the most securest and the very best fire protection. I was looking into the Pentagone safes but alot of people have said neg responses for that brand. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As the neighborhood begins its slow decent...its time to look for a gun safe....Does anyone have any good recommendations...looking for a max. 14 long gun safe...with shelves....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wondering what is a good gun safe manufacturer and what are some good qualities to look for in a safe,[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Because of a recent fire in my apt building I decided to buy a gun safe for my many guns. Before I would clean them after each use and just lay them in the corner against the wall. Is there anything special I should know about storing longguns for a long period in a locked safe? Should I leave them lightly oiled or wiped down completely? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any recommendations on a large gun safe? Most the people I talk to are trying to sell me the ones they sell. So it is hard to get an honest opinion. The best deal I can tell is through Sportsman Steel safes but unsure of product. Any help????Comments recommendations?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ANYBODY DEALT WITH STEELWATER SAFE COMPANY OR PATRIOT SAFE COMPANY LOOKING TO BUY 1ST GUN SAFE NEED ADVISE. I WANT A COMPANY AND THERE PRODUCTS 100% AMERICAN MADE.ANY INFO ON THESE 2 COMPANIES:
    WWW.PATRIOTSAFE.COM OUT OF CALIFORNIA AND WWW.STEELWATERGUNSAFE.COM OUT OF THE CAROLINAS
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I seem to go on intermittent spurts on this site--kids and sports sometimes keeps me away for much longer than I'd like---but anyway--I have seen a couple of recent post regarding safes. I had an awesome experience on this topic several years ago and had a great conversation with many members on the subject so thought I would submit the archive link so our new members can view it.

A safe has to be a deterrent on three levels, weight, fire protection and entry protection. I hope the link below helpes those who are seeking an above average safe.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=319721&SearchTerms=safes

Regards
    skyman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, after reading all the prior posts in the forums, does anybody have any information or experience with the Browning Medallion series gun safe or something similar. I am looking at spending around $2000 for a safe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know were i could get a good deal on a fire proof gun safe? I don't want to spend more than $500. Thanks
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Well, the most important question would be, how much are you willing to spend? You get what you pay for in a gun safe.
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you live because of shipping etc... I just bought a Liberty safe and love it. Best advice, buy one bigger than you think you need, mine is full already!
    Fire proof in my opinion is the way to go and get a dehumidifier rod for the safe also. I love my key pad entry system better than a combonation lock. Good luck!
  • Options
    vipereatervipereater Member Posts: 90
    edited November -1
    My local Sams Club is selling a Winchester R6030H 60" x 30" x 24" 10 ga. 3/16" 630 lbs. for $799 and it comes with 1/2 hour fire protection. That's more than half off of suggested retail. This would be a great starter safe and good looking for the money.
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to second madmarc0 on all aspects. Love my Liberty, but it got too small too fast -- I should have gone larger. Mine has the combo lock and I like it. Never used one with the keypad, though.

". . . let me forget about today until tomorrow"
  • Options
    familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey viper, Costco.com has that safe for $850 delivered. [:D]

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur with everyone else about the size of the safe. BUY BIGGER! (Of course then you do feel the need to fill it up) I recently purchased a Cannon gun safe and have been very pleased with it. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.cannonsafe.com/

quote:

God Bless America!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd consider the Zanotti Armor 6-piece interlocking design safe; you can take it apart & move it yourself. If you ever move, it will cost several hundred dollars to have professionals move a standard safe.

www.zanottiarmor.com

Neal
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy safes at gunshows. There will be several different dealers selling different brands and pricing will be very competitive. Work on them for free delivery (if you buy a big safe) or no tax for cash. I owned a American security that got too small so I now have a Cannon. Both are well built.
  • Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the zanotti. After looking around for quite awhile I purchased one of the 6' models and love it...well at least like it alot..[:D]
  • Options
    Elk HunterElk Hunter Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fort Knox is the best constructed safe and has the best warranty on the market. Lifetime on everything, even the paint and the lock! They even warranty it against fire, burglary, flood and accidental damage. One other item to look at on other brands is how they construct their doors. Some use plastic shims around the deadbolts. In the event of a fire, these melt rendering the door fire seal useless, as the door is then able to move. Some brands don't even use steel plate in their doors, only a box-construction sheet-steel shell! The listed weights for each safe will show you a great deal in how they are constructed.
    Fire protection, which is provided as standard on Fort Knox safes, is also SUPERIOR to that offered by all other manufacturers 1450?/50 minutes standard (1680? for 90 minutes with the Reinforced Fire Door option).

If you value what you put in it, stay away from the bargain store variety. The ones sold at Sam's Clubs, etc have bottoms which are tack welded in . Anyone with a hammer and screw driver can knock the bottom out in short order.

Compare warranites very carefully! Liberty's warranty is "kind of a lifetime" and they want you to go to your homeowners policy first. None of the other warranties can even approach that offered by Fort Knox. You can't afford not to have the best available. Prices are more competitive than you might think! Yeah, I sell them. I compared every safe on the market before buying my first one and becoming a Fort Knox dealer.
  • Options
    25-0625-06 Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the major safe manufactures place a great emphasis on the fact that their dood is 1" thick. Big deal, the side walls are only 3/16" or 1/4". All the 1" door does is add a lot of weight for no gain in security. I agree with the others, buy a fireproof model. Then bolt it to the floor or wall. If you are putting it on a concrete floor, that is best, you can anchor bolt it to the floor. Also, agree, get the largest one you can afford, it can be used to keep other valuables besides guns. I would opt for the taller 72" models over the 60" because of the extra shelf space. You might also look at Browning Safes, they are a very good buy for the money. Several of the other makes have fancy paint and decals and gold plating on the knobs and you pay alot for those unnecessary frills. Good luck, whatever you decide, you are making a wise choice in buying any safe.