In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAR-8

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Have seen one at auction here for some time.......it won't sell. I have researched it a little and know that the Greek receiver is the best of the "clones". However, how good a deal is the SAR-8 with aluminum receiver for $550? I have a line on one for this price. BTW, I know I would be better off with a steel receiver but is this a good deal for the gun? Please don't tell me that the FAL is a better MBR....I think it is too. I want both. If I get the SAR, I will eventually get and HK or one of the better clones anyway.

Comments

• Options
    briscobrisco Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mo,
    PLEASE take the advise offered...stay away from the aluminum SAR8. That 's the one with scope mount built into the receiver.

I bought one NIB a while ago. It would shoot accurate enough, but would FTE often, and would take some serious work to un-jam. After trying everything I sent it back to Springfield, and they said that they could not fix it and could not get new parts to make it work properly. Also, they said in it's current condition it was un-safe. They offered to buy it back from me for the price I paid, or trade it for a NIB M1A. I'm now the proud owner of the rifle I should have bought in the first place, the M1A MBR.

Other than the receiver the SAR8 was beautiful with all new parts, and it felt great at my shoulder. So good, in fact, that I bought one of the Century clones, sheet steel receiver, and it shoots very well indeed. A good value.

Do your research, and please keep away from the SAR8 (aluminum), unless you know the seller personally and know for a fact that it functions flawlessly. Check out HK91.com and HKpro.com for more sources of info.

Regards, Brisco.

PS, the FAL is a lot of fun, too.
  • Options
    briscobrisco Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mo, I almost forgot to add:

If I was a gambling man, and I sometimes am, I might be tempted to buy a SAR8 for $500, knowing full well that it is likely a piece of %#&*, then send it to Springfield Armory, where they MIGHT say it cannot be fixed, and then they MIGHT trade me straight accross for a NIB M1A, worth about $800 or so. And then my gamble would pay off nicely, if I was a gamblin' man.

Or, I might buy the SAR8 for $500, with the caveat that Springfield used all brand new German parts, except for the receiver. Then buy a new FMP receiver and have a really good HK gunsmith build me the next best thing to a new HK.

Regards, Brisco
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Brisco.........I thought for $500 it would be a pretty good deal. The ONE that has been listed in the GB auction finally went for $900 !!!!!!!! That, I cannot believe.......even if it is "the one" used on the magazine cover and for the evaluation.

If it has FTE problems I like the idea of sending it back to Springfield and getting a replacement rifle. If it worked out that way it would indeed be a good "gamble".
  • Options
    BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used one and it had feed / ejection problems the first time I took it out. Sent it to Springfield 2 months ago and am still waiting for it. The manager of the repair dept is the only one who works on them. It has the cast aluminum receiver. If they condemn this one, I'll go for the Greek version of the SAR-8. Will let you all know how it all turns out.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietsche
    "Only the strong survive."
    - Jerry Butler