In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help ID'ing a Mauser

Ivoryjester123Ivoryjester123 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
I need help ID'ing which Mauser HSc we have. It is chambered for 7.65mm, wood grips serial #878 6XX. There appears to be an eagle stamped on right rear of the trigger guard.

Anyone have an idea?

Thank you in advance for your assist.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My dad gave me a Mauser that's been in his closet forever. I don't have the serial number with me, but recall that it is four digits, numbers only. I didn't see any distinctive markings other than the serial number. It shoots 7mm - the box of ammo he had said "7x57". Is that enough information to start figuring out how old the rifle is or where it was manufactured? If not, let me know what else you need and I'll post again. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This excellent Russian web-site gives you all the info your looking for.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg103-e.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the site but it doesn't have the specifics I am looking for. Great site for technicals.

There are different versions of this piece (Army, Navy, Police etc.) and I am trying to figure out which one this is.

Michael
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have to have the specific proofs, Waffenamt's and any other markings on your pistol, to help you.
    HIGH QUALITY, close up pictures would be best.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A standard Nazi era proof is Eagle N. Used on commercial weapons.
    A standard Waffenamt is Army acceptance. From there, you could issue to the Luftwaffe or Kriegsmarine. They MAY have added their own markings, but in most cases the Luftwaffe did not. The Navy however did with an Eagle M.
    Any additional markings must be evaluated and without a detailed description and/or photo is nigh impossible.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I mentioned the only markings are the eagle on the RIGHT side of the trigger guard back towards the grip. The serial number is on the front side of the grip. On the left side of the slide has the standard Mauser -Werke A.G. Oberndorf a.N. and under that is Mod. HSc and Kal. 7,65mm. The grips are checkered wood.

The reason I am unsure of which version this is is that the book I have only mentions the Navy version as having a proof on the LEFT side of the trigger guard. None mention the right. Also I do not know the differences between the Eagle N, Eagle L etc proofs.

If you can tell me how to upload a picture to this forum I can do that for your review.

Thanks in advance for the assist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pancho's excellent site www.panchogun.com has pictures of (5) HSc's, hopefully they will help you identify what variation you have.

http://www.panchogun.com/IndexALLGuns.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe,

Great site. Thanks for the link. It is proofed Eagle N. That helps.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Bar any other proof than the Eagle N, it is a standard wartime commercial.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour