In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

serial numbers

dr.ftdr.ft Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have noticed in some of the auctions part of the serial numbers are purposely covered or partially so. What is the reason for this? Thanks for the information and education.

God Bless The U.S.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have noticed knowledgable gun sellers in many cases indicate the year a gun was made based on the serial number. Is there an easy way to get this information for the novice. I have several guns that I would like to obtain this info........Thanks in advance
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester model 54 that is stamped 30GOVT'06 serial number 23060A. I was wondering if anybody can tell my anything on the history of this rifle. I thank everybody for their time with this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had several guns that were to be stored by a relative. Seems they were stored at the local pawn shop. I don't have the list of serial numbers since I gave them to the relative for safe keeping. I know when,where and cost of them. Is there any way to track them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do all guns the same model have the same exact serial number or does each one have a unique number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the reason (Some)people will not list the complete S/N when listing a gun for sale.The only reason I can think of is they are afraid it might be a Stolen Gun. Ron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a Double barrel shotgun made in belguim I believe in the 1880's by A. Greener. I am wondering if anyone knows when the Greener company started putting serial numbers on their guns. The only things on this one are A. Greener, Belgium. Lamanated Steel and the number 34. Also what does the number 34 stand for?

Caz1259
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you ran a serial number and it came back as "no history" does that just mean its never been reported stolen or in a crime? it was run through the massachusettes state police, also is a high standard .357 magnum a decent target shooting gun? last but not least, where the hell can you find a holster for it? i mean is this revolver like a smith in size, can it fit into those holsters?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dumb question that I, a self acknowleged expert, should know what the answer is. But I don't.
    When describing a firearm, the writer often includes a partial serial number on the order of 1234xxxx. Just what, in the way of theft or other misconduct via miscreant , does that prevent????
    It would seem unlikely to me that a full serial number would be of any use by the criminal boneheads of the world.
    Stan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If a winchester had the last four numbers scratched off, but the first two are not, and the number sequence shows its manufacture date is 1898, is it still in violation, or since its an antique, the missing numbers are all right with the law enforcement? Is there anywhere to find a secondary serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    is there a site that shows mfgr dates for winchester rifles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has some old guns; a springfield 94a 16 ga. single shot and a remington 552 22 cal. We can not find serial numbers on these guns. Where are they suppose to be located? Thanks, john
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody out there know the site to check up on serial numbers to prove/disprove a stolen gun? Have a suspicious toy would like to check out. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been questioned in the past, but I lost the site I had used in the past...

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are new to this site and wondered if you can tell us about the serial numbers. Most are listed as numbers and x's (as in 645xx). Could someone please explain??

Thank you[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why are serial numbers always not fully disclosed? For example 1234XX.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I decided it was time to get a list of all my serial numbers. I did not find numbers on two of my guns. One is a Remington 514, .22 bolt action, the other is a Remington 572 .22 pump. Am I not looking in the right place, or do they not have serial numbers? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hava a Glock model 19 with the serial number 0000. I was just wondering if this affects the value of the gun?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Because people have some foolish idea that you can somehow claim they were stolen from you.

Forget the fact that the police report was made AFTER the number has been published or that the owner can probably prove provinace and the person reporting said number stolen has opened himself up to criminal charges for false reports.

Most real collectors disregard such nonsense as evidenced in major works where the serno is clearly shown in photographs.

Chalk it up to ignorance I guess.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From previous discussions, I've found 3 reasons why people do it:

1) If a gun was stolen & is listed on the DJA data base, the person from whom it was stolen could get it confiscated & returned; even if the current owner bought it in good faith, he would receive no compensation.

2) Paranoia. Some people are afraid that the federal government is compiling a data base of guns & who owns them. This doesn't happen: Such a data base would violate federal law, not to mention being an exercise in futility.

3) Everyone else does it.

Neal

"Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean that they are not out to get you."
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't list it because it really doesn't need to be listed... What is the last digit or two going to tell? The first ones will tell the often tell the model, the year, the plant, and other useful info. If a buyer wants it when it comes down to the last details, I'll furnish it.
    I think many gun-owners have "big brother" syndrom...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I just asked last week, and got some good responses.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79170

california_bf_lg_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I quess some enterprising criminal could track me through my e-mail and try to steal something.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dr.ft
    Thanks for the info. I quess some enterprising criminal could track me through my e-mail and try to steal something.
    Miles

When in doubt go faster

They don't need a serial number to do that! By merely posting on a firearms forum, we all know (or highly suspect) that you own at least one (or more) firearms.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!