In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NAVY? Colt 1898

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just aquired a Colt DA 38 that I believe is Navy issue. It seems that someone in the past, to cover that this weapon was probably pillfered, filed off some of the markings on the butt.

Under 10x, I can see what looks like part of the O and D of MODEL, and also a partial 88. The serial number, No. 95081 is untouched. This number seems to be in the Navy range from what I got from SPRINGFIELD RESEARCH. The barrel's last patent date is 1895.

The weapon doesn't have the normal Colt VP or any other proofs I am familiar with. It has tridents on the cylinder, latch, and frame. Severn's book talks about these proofs, but does not go into whether any weapons BESIDES Navy Colts have them.

Also, none of my references show a picture of the butt markings. Do the Navy markings "(Anchor) USN" have the world MODEL somewhere in there?

Does anyone have further information?

Thanks

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour

Comments

• Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    P3--are you familiar with the hydrochloric acid method of raising serial numbers? Don't want to give the lecture if you already know the info.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    DerGeb,
    No I am not. I was going to try the county forensic officer on Monday, but if you can pass the method to me, I would be much obliged!

You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While this revolver appears to date in 1898, it cannot be a Model 1898 as there is no such thing. This revolver is probably a Model 1896.

According to Wilson/Sutherland, the Navy version of the standard military Colt revolver is finished in a military grade of blue, has plain walnut stocks, is .38 caliber only, has a 6-inch barrel only, and has the following markings: U.S.N./anchor/.38 D.A./No/[serial number]/P/W.W.K/[date]. Sometiems a trident is marked also. Stocks are stamped with a date and inspector's initials. Most have lanyard swivels.

While it will be nice to know whether this revolver was indeed a Navy, with the markings gone or damaged, the value is also gone.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Judge. It still has historic value to me. It was in service when Dewey set Subic Bay afire, and when San Juan Hill was charged. History you can hold in your hand!