In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

browning a5 barrels

mahalekemahaleke Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
i have an a5 that has a barrel that says special steel 12g 2 3/4 on it. can i shoot lead shot through it and have a good pattern or will it mess the barrel up or my pattern.

Comments

• Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    The amount of choke at the muzzle is where the pattern quality is determined, whether the shot is lead or steel. How is your barrel choked? (*, **, **-, etc?) Also, Browning does not recommend shooting steel through barrels other than those of recent Japanese manufacture. Good luck.

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    folks....he's asking if he can shoot 'lead' thru a bbl marked 'special steel.' not steel thru a bbl marked lead! the answer is yes you can. shoot it to your hearts content with all the lead you can find.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Mahaleke, Welcome to the forum. Bobski is exactly right, I did not read your question correctly. My regrets and apologies. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    dcj10dcj10 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Special Steel" stamp on the belgium browning barral refers to the metal the barrel is made from and not for the shot it is designed for. The belgium barrels were made for lead shot. So you would be using the gun for what it was designed for with lead shot. Browning recommends only the newer "invector choke tube" barrels for steel shot.

dcj10
  • Options
    mahalekemahaleke Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks alot. thats what i needed to know.