In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt ar-15 pre-ban stock

latitude 61latitude 61 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can someone help me through all ATF regulations?
I own a Pre-Ban AR-15 Match HBAR with a fixed stock.
Is it legal to put a Collapsible stock on my lower?

Comments

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes IF it is an ACTUAL Colt AR-15 and this means that the rifle is stamped AR-15 on its receiver. The AR-15 is a named assault weapon under the 1994 Crime Bill and as such you can change its configuration as you please as long as it does not become a National Firearms Act weapon. Due to this classification an AR-15 cannot be removed from the catagory of assault weapons even if it had all of its evil features removed (pistol grip, bayonet lug, flash hidder)...it would still be an assault weapon regaurdless. Is your rifle a REAL AR-15 or something else???

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, My lower is stamped SPORTER not AR-15.
    I did not realize that there was a difference.
    Look like the only way to have a collapsable is to purchase a lower stamped AR-15.
  • Options
    artvlsartvls Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe if it is a pre 1994 crime bill sporter it would be OK. To be sure you can check with the ATF tech branch in DC.
    Dennis
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there were many preban ar-15 (sporters) that were made before 1994...they are preban and you can install any two or four position stock..your sporter also has a flash suppressor on it and possibly a bayonet lug...colt also installed a block in the reciever on some rifles before the ban but they are still preban...
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Colt AR rifles are VERY specific in their desigations and there are a large number of variations in each catagoty type. A Pre- 1994 Sporter would have had the flash hider included on the rifle (no bayonet lug) and as such would automatically be an assault weapon under the Crime Bill. As such you can add whatever stock you please. The ONLY rifle that is an AR-15 is marked as such and anything else is a variation- Colt or otherwise.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks MTC for again addressing the nomenclature issue. The Colt AR-15 was discontinued about 20 years ago when the AR-15A2 was introduced. The Sporters and Match Targets were introduced after the A2 was discontinued. If correct nomenclature is used, much confusion will be avoided. Calling every M16-style semi-automatic rifle an "AR-15" is kind of like calling all cola soft drinks a "Coca-Cola." The name will not be accurate if used generically.

As MTC states, under federal law, actual Pre-Ban "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons" may be modified with any combination of the forbidden features as long as the rifle remains a semi-automatic and does not become an NFA weapon of some kind.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do not have the bayonet lug as suggested but I do have a flash supressor. I believe it is threaded on but I have not tried to remove it. There is also a sear block as suggested in the lower.
    The Serial number is MH 0485535, From all the research I have done so far, I believe it made well before 1994, a Pre-Ban.

Now, 2 position,4 position stock or whatever I choose?
    More Questions!
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Did you check the Colt website? If you go there you can make sure the serial number is pre-ban. Sounds like yours is a transistional "Blue Label" model...but as long as it was manufactured as a rifle prior to the AWB, you can slap all the goodies on it...

Stock is a preference...I would keep it original Colt for the sake of future value.

Colt%20AR%20surefire%20Halliburt%20angle%2003.JPG

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo