In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Composite stock finish.

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
What kind of paint would one use on a fiberglass stock? Could you give it a "black web" appearance, like the Remingtons?

Comments

• Options
    R-C-NOR-C-NO Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wish someone had an awnser cause I want to do the same thing
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog: I think what you are looking for is a webbing solution/agent that you mix with paint to get this effect. Im not sure what type of paint that they apply to Remington stocks but more than likely its a polyurathane type and some webbing agents will work with this type of paint, just find the one thats compatible with your paint.

You will have to select a paint that you want to apply to your fiberglass stock. Polyester gelcoat is one, acrylic enamel or lacquer will work on fiberglass. Then paint it the color that you want let it dry some(not totaly dry if you use a catalyst hardening paint) then pick a lighter or darker color to mix the webbig agent in and web it.

You need to wear a good respirator when applying these paints (not very healthy on the lungs)

The webbing agent will make the paint flow from the gun in a stringy type of pattern. So its advisable to try it on a piece of cardboard before you apply it to the stock.

Then have fun applying it to the stock.

A little goes a long way!!!!!!!

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog,

bolthandle is correct for the very most professional way to accomplish this effect but it is both expensive equipment-wise and somewhat dangerous for the average stock painters like us. It requires both a respirator and air evacuation (exhaust).

The way to do this easily and inexpensively is to buy "Webbing Paint" from Krylon. Use the links. The can contains the product to produce the effect that you are looking for. But be prepared to practice. It takes a little skill to get it on the stock for an appropriate look.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=1353&store=003

http://www.marcospec.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=*&Product_Code=SPWB&Category_Code=CHEMICALS

http://store.artcity.com/kry-60x.html

I think that "ArtCity" has the biggest selection and best price but check them all out to be sure.

Best
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bolthandle and nononsence, my thanks to the both of you. I will give it a try.
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I used spray paint to camo my stock,then sprayed it with a clear satin finish. It turned out pretty good but not as good as store bought camo.

"bbroygbvgw"
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use wrinkle black engine paint to touch up my Bell&Carlson stock. A 100w light bulb from a droplight provides the heat to make it wrinkle and it makes a good match with the B&C finish.