In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cold feet

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
How can I keep my feet warm while duck hunting in hip waders?Help!

Comments

• ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Layer your socks if room permits. If not you might try boot warmers. Good luck

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Battery heated socks. My wife has used them before. The only problem (besides battery life) is that when the battery does run down, your feet have been warm, so they sometimes sweat. Then if you do not have extra batteries. Your feet get double cold.

Keep her toes nice and toasty though.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Vic,
    Those Government "Mickey Mouse" extreme cold weather boots are the best in the world.

I used a pair in the Aleutians with a pair of wool socks over thin cotton socks. I could stand in the snow for hours without discomfort.

Check surplus dealers, I'm sure they will know what I am talking about. They come in white (for dry cold) and black (for wet cold) but either should do just fine.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • R-C-NOR-C-NO Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I use (this sounds stupid) is a product called "Therma Care" It's made to releave pain . I use the ones for PMS. (how sick does this sound from a man LOL) It's a small round disc that is air activated and will last 8 hours I have had them last 10 hours. Put on at home in socks or out of socks and enjoy!I put in sock on top of foot and it works great.
    Has a sticky side to hold to sock and does not move.
    Give it a try you may like it.
  • shoeyshoey Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd layer your socks, at least a good wicking sock and a wool over sock...

shoey
  • Islander1989Islander1989 Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this sounds crazy, but I often find that if I have made any attempt to keep my feet warm (wool socks, etc.) and they still get cold, it is usually because the rest of my body is cold. Try more clothes up top and see what happens. It seems to work for me. The idea is that when the body is cold and need to conserve heat, it restricts blood to the extremities (feet) and lets them get cold to keep your torso warm.

Hope this helps
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, the body looses most of its heat trough the head. Be sure to keep your noggin covered with a good warm cap or hat or hood. I also suffer cold feet at times and wear pack with 1/2" felt liners, or more often if deer hunting pacs with thinsolate over silk or polypro sock liners and one or two pairs of wool socks. Good shooting!

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • stickmanstickman Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing most people don't realize is that nicotine and caffeine are drugs that shut down blood flow to the extremities. I should know...I use both of them. Stay away from coffee, pop and cigarettes when you know you are going to be out in cold weather.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me chime in with my two cents worth.Your feet get cold because they sweat a lot!Dry feet equal warm feet. Use a good antipersperant deodorant on them all over...! Between the toes etc. It helps like you would not believe I have tried everything until I hit on this it really works

stupid people should not be allowed to breed
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baby diapers.
    They are good insulation and absorb moisture to keep feet dry.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Try out a good sock-brand.. Like H?rkila's or BridgeDale.

Use a liner-sock that transports moisture and a good sock for warmth.
    The innersock/liner - doesn't take up much space, but I now use BridgeDale liners under my everyday Adidas-socks.

Am always comfy and warm, either during indoor or outdoors work - or going between the two.

Try out, for more info...:
    http://www.bridgedale.com

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.