In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt lord deringers

gun308gun308 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a set of these deringers can someone tell me something about them and what they are worth

Comments

• Options
    rareblairrareblair Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the 23rd edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values:
    ".22 Short cal. only, side pivoting Thuer action, gold plated with black chrome barrel and walnut grips. Mfg. approx. 1959-1963 by Colt, cased."
    Values for the cased set with consecutive serial numbers are:
    $495 for 100% condition
    $375 for 98%
    $275 for 95%

There have been half a dozen or so sets of Lords on the curios and relics sectoin of GB, but I've not seen any of them sell in 3 or 4 months. The starting asking prices are too high, or the reserve prices are too high. Those that list a "buy it now" price have been way over the 'book' values. They keep getting relisted and then just dropped from the site.
    I'd like a set for my collection, but it doesn't take much to take a gun from 100% to 95% condition. I'm willing to pay $275-$300 for a real good set, but can't see shelling out $650-$800 for them. (Maybe that means I'll just have to do without them, then).
    Hope this info helps.

Rareblair

IF IT AIN'T DONE RIGHT, IT AIN'T DONE YET!!!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guns were made for Colt (I'd guess in Italy) in a variety of finishes: nickel, gold/blue (Lord), all gold (Lady), etc. They were sold both as singles & in pairs. They were also offered in different casings: display case, fake "book", etc.

I think rareblair is right on about the prices. I would think that $250-300 for a pair (NIB) would be the actual market price, if they were priced to sell. With any wear at all, I would be surprised if a single gun would sell for > $100.

If your pair has a gold finish, do not handle them (even to clean or oil). The gold wash finish is only a few microns thick, & will easily wipe off.

Neal
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    These Derringers were made by Butler for Colt in the mid 1960's. I bought 2 pair of the factory Butlers when a dealer was closing them out in 1968. At that time I paid $10 each for the blued ones and $12 for the nickeled ones. That Colt name really drives the price up on these.
  • Options
    jkokavecjkokavec Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a set of Lady Derringers on GB for $249.00 and resold them at a local auction for $550.00.
  • Options
    rareblairrareblair Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gun308,

Are you interested in selling, or just after information?

Contact me off site with all the details if you want to sell, since that type of thing is forbidden here. (With good reason)

e-mail is: blairorvin@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Rareblair

IF IT AIN'T DONE RIGHT, IT AIN'T DONE YET!!!
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a Butler .22 on AA right now at $60.00 and no bids. It will probably be relisted?? Emery

"Well done is better than well said"
    Ben Franklin