In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

8x57JS notation

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I thought I saw something about this, recent enough to remember I saw it, long enough ago to not remember what it was.
I did a search and came up dry.

What is the distinction of JS in 8x57JS rifle ammo ?

Thanks again

If we do not hang together,
We will most certainly hang separately.

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Pointed bullet vice round nose I believe.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The JS or JS bore means they are chambered for .323 bullets. The earlier bore (J or S, not sure what is was called) was .318. This can be a problem if you shoot standard 8mm (.323) in a small bore.

Jim Kammerer
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gsf,

"Two versions of the 8x57mm Mauser exist, and even today it is not exactly uncommon to encounter rifles chambered for both. The original version was introduced in the German Commission Model 88 rifle in 1888, and it was loaded to a nominal 2,034 fps with a 227-grain roundnose bullet measuring .318 inch in diameter. This one is commonly referred to as the 8x57J with the "J" suffix indicating infantry. When the German army later replaced the old 88 Commission rifle with the new Mauser Model 1898, some of the first rifles built were also chambered for the 8x57J, but in 1905 it was replaced with a new high-velocity version loaded with a 154-grain Spitzgeschoss (spitzer) bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,936 fps. The new loading was officially designated as the 8x57JS, and bullet diameter was increased to .323 inch."

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/classic_062804/
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p3 - as nononsense's excellent reply notes, the original "JS" designation distinguished the "spitzer" type bullet in the larger diameter for military loads, however you *WILL* see many .323" round nose in commercial loadings, especially with heavier projectiles. Think of the difference in the '06 150gr PSP vs. the 220gr RN, if you will (actually the 220gr is a holdover from the .30 US {Krag} which was tried in the .30-01 and .30-03 before the adoption of the .30-06).

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This will give you a good detailed explanation of the three.
    From my Model 1888 Commission rifle website.
    http://www.texastradingpost.com/m88/questions.html#why
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by texastradingpost
    This will give you a good detailed explanation of the three.
    From my Model 1888 Commission rifle website.
    http://www.texastradingpost.com/m88/questions.html#why

WELL DONE! OUTSTANDING SITE.

luger_4.jpg
  • texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1