In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Approx. vlue on a factory nickled Sauer 38H

Remington6977Remington6977 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me any info including approx value on a factory nickled Sauer38H. It is eagle N and eagle C marked. I have the original grips which are marked IA in a circle, but they are broke,the gun now has repro grips from GunParts corp. The gun also has the factory magazine. Overall I would say this gun is in pretty decent shape,fully functional and over 90% nickle remains. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to rain on your parade, but the 38H was produced as a Military/paramilitary pistol for German forces during W W II.

Unless you have someway to substantiate that the nickel plating is factory original, it has a very detrimental effect on it's value to a collector.

My 2?, nickel plated it's worth $200 to $300 at the most, depending on what kind of polishing job that was done to the base metal, before it was plated.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I beleive the gun to be fully original as the collection i received it from also includes a Walther PP that has no markings other than the AC code. This gun looks to never have been fired. ther is no cartidge indicator on the back and it has no eagle proof marks on it anywhere. I belive the same gentleman brought home both trophies from his tour in germany. If the Sauer 38 is indeed factory nickled then what would be the approx value. Thanks for your time and I appreciate it greatly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Remington6977
    I beleive the gun to be fully original as the collection i received it from also includes a Walther PP that has no markings other than the AC code. This gun looks to never have been fired. ther is no cartidge indicator on the back and it has no eagle proof marks on it anywhere. I belive the same gentleman brought home both trophies from his tour in germany. If the Sauer 38 is indeed factory nickled then what would be the approx value. Thanks for your time and I appreciate it greatly.

If it's possible to give us the serial number range of your pistol, with the last 2 digets replaced with X's, it would be easier to give you some guidance.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 4240XX Where the nickle is missing the gun is silverish underneath. also all numbers match. Thanks again. As a subnote, the walther numbers are 3848XX AC There is a milling defect on the side of the slide but this does not seem to affect the gun at all.This is why I believe that there are no proof marks on the walther Do you think that it's possible that this gun was never meant to leave the factory? I know that the allies were able to seize the walther plant so maybe this got out in the guy's pack.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Remington6977
    The serial number is 4240XX Where the nickle is missing the gun is silverish underneath. also all numbers match. Thanks again. As a subnote, the walther numbers are 3848XX AC There is a milling defect on the side of the slide but this does not seem to affect the gun at all.This is why I believe that there are no proof marks on the walther Do you think that it's possible that this gun was never meant to leave the factory? I know that the allies were able to seize the walther plant so maybe this got out in the guy's pack.

Can't help you with the Walther, best to get hold of Rankin's books he's gone into great detail on the various variations.

My reference does show what appears to be a late production 38-H, ( no slide safety ) that's nickel plated. But it only addresses the "commercial" pistols being FACTORY nickel plated. It values them at between $100 & $250 above the price of non nickel plated pistols.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your input I appreciate it and I just wanted to say that this pistol does have the slide safety. Thanks anyway.