In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

swatika in reverse??

Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Found old mauser with nazi markings in reverse, no eagle. On top of receiver dqted 38 under looks like old chineese under looks like maybe globe with ~~~~~ around it only squared. Short pull bolt.
Is this A chineese remake??? What would value be ? Just a guess please.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.

Comments

• Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Swaskita has been used for years before Hitler adopted it. And yes it is found in asian art work among other cultures in various presentations. And to boot it usually is a sign of luck or prosperity.

_bm.jpg It's better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser Book has a picture of a Chinese Rifle with a Swastika marking on the receiver. It's identified as being a Chiang Kai-Shek Model Short Rifle. These rifles were made between the mid 30's until the nationalists got kicked out of mainland China in 1949. Not all of the rifles had Swastikas, but were made and marked differently.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Da-Tank,

The reversed swastika is the factory mark of the 21st Arsenal.
    The hanyang arsenal (5 pointed star marking) was captured by the Japanese in 1938. Then the Nationalist government relocated the Hanyang arsenal to Chungking and was combined with others to form the 21st Arsenal. As they put it: "became one of the main national defense factories in the rear of war of resistance against aggression". That said, the reverse swastika was a popular ancient symbol in Asia and may have been placed on some Hanyang arsenal rifles also. The 38 mark, Well the chinese were really into numerology. Depending you your rifle, it could be the western 1938. Or it could be of the Chinese calendar. The Chinese calendar starts in 1911 with the founding of the Chinese republic. 38 I think might translate to 1949 for us. The chinese also had captured Japanese Type 38 rifles that could have gone through the arsenal and they also made copies of them. And they sometimes used dates of significant events on rifles. The main rifle produced by the Hanyang arsenal was the Model 1888 commission rifle. The 21st arsenal, also the Model 1888 and then the Chiang Kai Shek Mauser. Not knowing more information you probably have a Chiang Kai Shek Mauser made in 1938. This was a copy of the M1924 Mauser. Some well made, most not so well made. Not going to touch the value. I always seem to end up paying too much for rifles in my collection so not going there.
    John
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good post Tex, Have you ever read Arming the Dragon?
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by texastradingpost
    Da-Tank,

The reversed swastika is the factory mark of the 21st Arsenal.
    The hanyang arsenal (5 pointed star marking) was captured by the Japanese in 1938. Then the Nationalist government relocated the Hanyang arsenal to Chungking and was combined with others to form the 21st Arsenal. As they put it: "became one of the main national defense factories in the rear of war of resistance against aggression". That said, the reverse swastika was a popular ancient symbol in Asia and may have been placed on some Hanyang arsenal rifles also. The 38 mark, Well the chinese were really into numerology. Depending you your rifle, it could be the western 1938. Or it could be of the Chinese calendar. The Chinese calendar starts in 1911 with the founding of the Chinese republic. 38 I think might translate to 1949 for us. The chinese also had captured Japanese Type 38 rifles that could have gone through the arsenal and they also made copies of them. And they sometimes used dates of significant events on rifles. The main rifle produced by the Hanyang arsenal was the Model 1888 commission rifle. The 21st arsenal, also the Model 1888 and then the Chiang Kai Shek Mauser. Not knowing more information you probably have a Chiang Kai Shek Mauser made in 1938. This was a copy of the M1924 Mauser. Some well made, most not so well made. Not going to touch the value. I always seem to end up paying too much for rifles in my collection so not going there.
    John

If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?
  • Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No,
    I will add it to my want list though. I did just read one of the Men-at-Arms series "chinese Civil War" Armies 1911-49 because I was interested in reading about the history behind the use of some rifles in my collection. (21st arsenal 1888, 1907 Mauser, Chiang Kai-Shek Mauser). Just amazing the war history of China. It is as if China was in perpetual war most of its history.
    John