In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 milsurp & clones

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I 'gave' my M-14 to my oldest boy who is now interested in 'collecting' other military rifles or reproductions in 308 that are not a POC. My advice was to be patient (young'uns these days !) and just keep an eye open when at the smith, gunshow, or auctions for milsurp in reasonable condition. He is eye-balling a CETME and others (I think from Atlantic or Century). I am not convinced that he will have a fair quality gun (reproduction ?), but have nothing but my gut feeling to go from.

Relating any experience with CETME or 'real milsurp' weapons suggestons that may fill his 308 niche would be appreciated. Also any poop on Atlantic and Century and others would be appreciated.

Thanks

If we do not hang together,
We will most certainly hang separately.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The current Century FAL's are much better than they used to be. Buy them now, the prices are going to go up.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give this link to your boy. It's from a millsurp collectors site. Have him read all the back posts and start asking questions, before he goes off half-cocked and starts buying those CEMTE'S FROM CENTURY. Some of that stuff has a real poor reputation. Hate to see a young collector, being taken advantage of.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=12

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    The current Century FAL's are much better than they used to be. Buy them now, the prices are going to go up.

I've been hearing the same but don't have 1st hand experience. have him check out www.ohiorapidfire.com for a FAL. They sell their fulsize gun for $550!!!

I bought a Cetme just recently. It's ok but nothing to get excited about. The magazine release sticks. The charging handle is a pita to pull back. Accuracy is good and there is no recoil.

I think your son would enjoy a PTR91 and a FAL much more. Atlantic is a good company to deal with. I have bought a couple guns from them.

I've posted this pic a ton but here's my cold war evil black rifle collection so far:
    22925greencouch-med.jpg

I need an M1A and a M1 Garand. Speaking of which tell him he needs to get a garand!

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rich - Rufe - & Drobs, thanks for getting the responses rolling.

We are starting over somewhat at our place, my Garand et. al. now belong to someone I do not know...hence my user-name.

You other wells of knowledge, please post a tid-bit.

MUCH APPRECIATED
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom,

I've have kind of experienced the same thing as drobs with the CETME that I bought a while ago. They had to be taken apart and rebuilt using a certain number of American parts. Which means they don't quite true out like they should. I had magazines not going into the well and numerous misfeeds and misfires. I had to work the problems out myself. Now that I have that done and have the rifle shooting pretty good it is fun to shoot. It's a good addition to his collection but like the others have said I wouldn't make it a priority unless he got one that originally came over from Spain.

CETME's are, you may already know, the forerunner to the G-3/HK-91. They were developed off the MP series actions and built in Spain when German arms makers were out of business in post WWII. When arms could resume production in Germany that is when the design went back to Germany and was refined in the G-3/HK-91 of military fame.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just bought a cetme about six months ago the only problems i'v had is that the five round hunting clips wont stay latched in they keep falling out. and they * to misfire untill you run about 500 to 1000 rounds through them after that havnt had any problems.