In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got a question on handgun Ammo

joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
just purchased my first handgun today and when i bought ammo she gave me 230 grian and said it was practice. i didn't think of anything at the time but then i thought about it (after i got home) ain't that a little to much for practice, cause i thought practice rounds woud be 150 grian not 230 so can some one please help me out

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you are shooting a 45acp?

Think of 150 as being lighter and hotter / faster- more recoil.
    230 as being heavier / slower- less recoil.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

A 230 grain bullet is fine for practice. Many people use 230's all the time for practice.

Any load can be a practice load, depending upon what you are practicing. Even the lighter loads, like a 200 grain 45ACP, can be a handfull if loaded full house.

A target load can use any weight of bullet, but usually has a reduced powder charge to keep recoil and muzzle blast mild, to reduce fatigue and stay on target.

The reason many people reload their own cartridges is to custom tailor the type of load needed for the purpose at hand. Often these are reduced loads to develop shooting skills.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    one last thing are eagle bullets good for practiceing or should i use name brand like fedral, serira, etc...
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal makes American Eagle. Good stuff.

I try to buy whatever that's cheap and brass cased. I've found that most of my 45's don't like Wolf. Some here swear by it.

Whatever you do, do not buy this ammo!!!
    It's caused multiple guns to blow up.
    g21-amerammo.jpg

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    never heard of "eagle" brand before . but for just practice shooting any thing that shoots to the same POA and has about the same feel when it goes bang is fine... and a 230 grain load in a .45 is the standard load and the one most encountered at the local gunshops .maybe try wolfe brand ammo for practice in the 230 gr.loading fairly cheap to buy and good quality ,i have always had good luck with it and other wolfe ammo.
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drobs
    How did your hand come out after that catastrophic failure?
    Dean

quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Federal makes American Eagle. Good stuff.

I try to buy whatever that's cheap and brass cased. I've found that most of my 45's don't like Wolf. Some here swear by it.

Whatever you do, do not buy this ammo!!!
    It's caused multiple guns to blow up.
    g21-amerammo.jpg

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg

If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was going to shoot pool, and I used one weight cue and a certain sized table to practice, then when I put up the money to play for real, I switched to my regular cue of a different weight and played on a larger table with different weight cue ball, my eye and speed would be off and I would have a real hard time competing with a good player. You play like you practice; you shoot like you practice.

If you are going to carry a .45 for personal protection, when the need suddenly arises for you to have to use it, you are going to want to be real well acquainted with the feel of your piece and the performance of your load.

If you're going to load 230 grain JHPs for carry, which is a real good idea, then you need to shoot 230 grain hardball (FMJ) at the range. Shoot a lot of hardball at 21 feet, 30 feet and 60 feet, and finish off with a couple of clips of JHP at 21 feet. These two rounds have the same weight in the mag, and very similar points of aim. You can buy Remington UMC 230 gr FMJ for about $20.00 for 100 rounds. The Remington 230 gr JHPs are a little more expensive, but still real reasonable, for carry.

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cool went and shot my gun today man it felt real good to shoot. not as much recoil as i thought there would be, but felt real good. Can't wiat to get me another gun think i'll go mag this time around.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Practice ammo is whatever you can get for the cheapist price. Some brands work better than others in your gun, I'm sure. But, it dosen't matter what it is, just be careful of reloads and hot loads. I usually get UMC ammo to practice with for $9.95 a box/50 in my area. It's cheap hardball, pretty accurate, shoots clean. My carry ammo though is usually fed hydrashoks or win silvertips.