In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

17 HMR AMMO.

recon5recon5 Member Posts: 199 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Who makes the BEST?

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

My personal opinion is Hornady makes the best.

CCI is not bad also.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck witht the hornday 17gr blastic tip. I have some CCI TNT rounds that did not do so good on LIVE targets. I belive many companys are makeing them now, I havent had to buy any in a while.

John
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had such good results with the original Hornady V-max red tip that I don't need to try anything else,just my two cents
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot Hornady, Remington, CCI, Federal, Right now Federal is the most accurate in my rifle. Like with all rim fire rifles some brands shoot better in one rifle and some shoot better in a different rifle.
    Once you fined the brand that works best, right down the LOT number and
    go buy as much as you can if your satisfied with the accuracey, then you will have an accurate rifle with that ammo for a long time.
  • Options
    bikrprchrbikrprchr Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin Stainless heavy barre. I have shot Hornady, Remington, CCI and also the Federal in my rifle. It tends to favor the Hornady and the Remington. Shoots very tight groups with both of those. The CCI and Federal loads both seem to open the groups up by at least an inch or more. All of this personal "testing" has been at the range and off of a rest to keep the conditions similar.

Do keep in mind that each rifle will shoot differently, and that should be tested for yourself. Buy a box or two of each and see what happens.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage likes Hornady,Federal. I would stay away from CCI[V]
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to keep things confusing = I have a Sav 93 ss heavy barrel - I first tried CCI TNT - on 3 different brands of chronys it goes 2750 - I have checked and double checked - that's how fast it goes out of my gun -- groups run under 1/2 inch at 100 yds -- I have never tried anything else - why would I?