In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for a 30.06 alternative caliber

redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
OK, here goes. I'm looking for a rifle that'd be lighter than my Ruber M77 Mark II 30.06 to hunt in Colorado. I'm looking for suggestions as to caliber and manufactuer's models. I'm looking less weight, less recoil. I will be hunting mostly small game up to Elk. Sorry, not interested in Bears, they can fight back and I'm too old to run. I already have a 30-30 lever action and like it. Might just stay with it, but I'm considering someting in the .2? caliber range, so that I can go for small game too.

Any help, information , opinions, etc appreciated.
Myles

Myles
Gunnison, CO
SA Mil-Spec .45 custom
Charles Daly 9mm HiPower
Walther P99 .40S&W
Taurus Tracker 4".357
Ruger Mark II, custom target.
Ruger M77, .30-06
Mosin-Nagant M44 chinese carbine w/bayonet
Marlin-Glenfield Model 100 .22semi
Western Auto Model 1894 .30-.30
"I got a gun for my wife, what a trade!"
"panic, chaos and mayhem, my work here is done"

Comments

• Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 300 win mag, 30.06, and now a 7mm-08.....the 7 for just the reasons you described......from the advice of many forum folks.

Regular ammo perfect for all but elk, Hornaday light magnums for elk. I don't shoot at 400 yards mind ya, I try to get withing 200 to 250 yards...The one I JUST GOT is delightful, I laugh when I shoot it and love how it handles, and very accurate.......and the folks who advised me,,,,,,thank you....!1111

I am sure you will get other various opinions, and they will all be worthy of consideration....

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with a Tikka T3 Lite in a 308 Win. Light, accurate, and low recoil. If you are looking to get away from 30 cal I would suggest maybe a 25-06, or 270. I am not sold on the WSM, WSSM, SAUM and the like. Stick to the tried and true rounds.
  • Options
    redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I just went to Remington Arms sight to check out ballistics. I wonder how does the 6mm Rem fit in with what I'm looking for. Also what's the difference between 6mm Rem and 6.5mm Rem mag? Recoil differences?
    Thanks again
    Myles

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
    SA Mil-Spec .45 custom
    Charles Daly 9mm HiPower
    Walther P99 .40S&W
    Taurus Tracker 4".357
    Ruger Mark II, custom target.
    Ruger M77, .30-06
    Mosin-Nagant M44 chinese carbine w/bayonet
    Marlin-Glenfield Model 100 .22semi
    Western Auto Model 1894 .30-.30
    "I got a gun for my wife, what a trade!"
    "panic, chaos and mayhem, my work here is done"
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Ruger #1 in 270?? With scope and sling should weigh less than 7.5 lbs, and the second shot if needed, isn't any slower than a bolt action rifle.
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tikka t3 lite in 270wsm or 25 wssm (yes i like the short mags )

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • Options
    scottscott Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your small game is along the lines of coyotes, antelope and mule deer under 250yds, then the 6mm would work for you, but you would be well advised to still use the 30/06 for elk...6mm rifles arent a hot manufacturers item these days, so a .243 would be easier to find and feed...the 6.5 magnum is a neat cartridge, but you can basically duplicate it as far as field performance on game goes, with either the 25/06 or .270...the only rifle currently chambered in it, isnt gonna be any lighter then your current rifle and the ruger and remingtons that are now discontinued will have hefty collector premiums on them..the tikka t-3 lite or a remington mountain rifle may be good choices for you...obviously , if small game means small game, you need to add a rimfire to your arsenal
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Myles,

Go to the regular Remington website and select 'Ammunition' and from the drop down menu select 'Ballistics' and use the menus supplied to run some ballistic comparisons.

While I agree with the 7mm-08, I also think that you can't go wrong with the 6.5 x 55 Swede either. There is an ever growing interest in the 6.5's these days and it seems like there is a superb bullet selection for varmints up to and including elk. Remember, the Swedes use this cartridge to hunt for a type of moose that is just a bit smaller than ours so the Swede will be just fine for elk.

Check the ballistics on the 6.5 x 55 Swede, you will be impressed.

Best.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A less weight gun with just a little smaller caliber will equal same recoil or possibly more recoil. I would be looking at the 25-06
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning Medallion - 6.5lbs - 25WSSM = a 25-06 ballistic twin - fast and flat - plenty of power for elk with right bullet.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken young people on youth elk hunts where some have been equipped with a .243 Win. and loaded with correctly designed bullets in an accurate load. When presented with the opportunity, they bring home the meat.

If you think that 6mm's are a little light for their bullet weights, here is a supplier that makes 120 gr. hunting bullets for the .243 diameter cartridges.

http://www.wildcatbullets.com/

This is a post from another forum by a friend of mine who is a guide up in Canada. He hunts and guides for deer, caribou, elk and moose.

If you punch a 130 grain TSX into the heart and lungs on an elk it will do the job.

I have taken a number of elk with the .270 and 130 grain Nosler Partitions, several with the .25-06 and 115 Nosler partitions. Same goes for moose, but I have also used the 115 TSX on moose. With those two cartridges all of the shots taken were nice broadside lung/heart shots and slight going away quartering shots......and those are the only situations I would have pulled the trigger. Not one of those animals traveled more than 75 yards and most were down inside of 50.

I am not suggesting that either of these cartridges is my favorite elk cartridge..........they are not. But, a good bullet through the heart/lungs will get the job done........period. As you know, it is a matter of proper bullet selection and only pulling the trigger when you are sure you can place the bullet where it needs to go.

My experience with the Barnes TSX has been very positive and if I was going to hunt elk with a 6.5 x 55 I wouldn't hesitate to use the 130 TSX or the 140 XLC for that matter.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it had better be a learned one!"

Edited by - skyline on Jul 08 2005 09:08:21

http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2537&whichpage=2
  • Options
    tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a Rem. model 7 in 308 or 7mm-08 nice and light very accurate and still enough gun for your hunting requirements