In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

savage or remington

stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
thinking of buying a new gun for deer stuck between the savage 110 in 308 or the remington 700 in 308 does anyone have any advice on either pros and cons

Comments

• bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you are going to hear a lot of stuff, as the savage/remington question gets played out once every couple of weeks. there really is only one major difference, besides the 700 looks better, and that is price. if you want a cheap very accurate gun that looks bad, get the savage. if you want an expensive accurate gun that looks good, get the remington. they both shoot about the same, so the bottom line is how much do you want to spend. if its only $85 i'd go with the remington. you must be getting the ADL or SPS.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thers not that much differents in the price only about $ 85.00
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new Savage trigger and reports of excellent out of the box accuracy turns me on.
    The thought of dropping a more expensive rifle on the rocks in the rain turns me off.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my savage it shoots great.and love the new trigger on it
  • spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an Savage 10FP and fit it to an better stock and call it an day. Love mine.

spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just saw a video of a bore camera going down the bore of a Remington, buy the Savage![;)]

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the one that's got me interested in earnest here lately:
    http://www.savagearms.com/116fss.htm

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage's piller bedding and sythetic stock will guarantee consistant accuracy in any weather - any temperature - year after year. I have had one in 25-06 for years now -- always sub moa - zero never moves. Put a Burris Ballistic Plex on it too.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with the pillar bedding being a great addition to the savage,..but the "synthetic" stock is nothing more than injection molded plastic just like the remington. The rigidity of the stock is very weak in either the ADL or savage (unless it is the mcmillan stocked tactical). That being said,..the savage barrels are button rifled which is a better process than the standard hammer forging used by most other companies sush as rem and many others. The finish is better in the bore with button rifling,..but a bit of non-embedding lapping compound and a bit of elbow grease fixes all that. I am a remington user with quite a few in the stable. Everything I know about the savages tells me they should outshoot the remington 700,..but for whatever reason I have yet to definitively prove that. My vote still goes to the rem 700.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An advantage of buying the Remington is that when its time to trade in you going to get more for the Remington. Dealers see a Savage coming and cringe unless its a Model 99 .