In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 1893

tallpaulrtallpaulr Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Besides the model B, did the Marlin have a blued receiver? I thought they were all case-hardened otherwise. There's an 1893 on GB that has a blued receiver, with a serial number that suggests it was made in 1894; the model B wasn't introduced until 1905. Is this a refinished rifle? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for information on an old marlin lever action that i have. it is a model 1893 with a half octigonal half round barrell, 20" in a take down version chambered for 25-36. I am looking for information about how to take this gun down, where to find a vintage butt pad/plate, and where to get ammo for it. nay help would be great. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recently acquired a Marlin 1893 with 28"octagon barrel in 30-30.I'd like to shoot it. The s/n range is 148xxx mfg 1897. The barrel flat IS NOT Marked for either " For Black Powder" or "Special Smokeless Steel.
    It is a CCH rifle. Are modern 30-30 rounds safe to shoot? The bore is perfect and condition of the rifle is excellent. Your thoughts please
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I brought a marlin 1893 trying to find age of gun letter then four digit what year was it made
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is approx age and value of this rifle. Has Model 1893 behind hammer. Special Smokeless Steel on barrel and has Marlin saftey on top of reciever. Octogan barrel with full lenth magazine. 316068 underneith in front of lever. Any info??
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25-35 should work, the rest of the stuff you ask is beyond my scope. Sell the rifle to someone who cares!
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which style butt plate are you looking for.
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to own a Marlin 1893 take-down, and as I remember the process:
    First make sure the rifle is empty. Then, unlatch the magazine tube with the latch at the muzzle end, and pull forward on the magazine tube; this disengages the magazine tube and follower from the bottom of the receiver, and will allow the front half to rotate. Then open the swing-over latch on the bottom of the receiver, it moves through approximately a 90 degree arc. You should then be able to twist/rotate the front half counter-clockwise one quarter of a turn, to disengage the barrel from the interrupted threads into the receiver. To reassemble, reverse the procedure.
    Edit reply: On further thought, maybe my memory is fuzzy, and it takes several turns to take apart, rather than a quarter-turn on an interrupted thread... But the key to the process is pulling the magazine tube forwards.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unlike a lot of those period calibers, .25-36 Marlin is not just the same as .25-35 Winchester. I knew one guy who said he shot .25-35 in his .25-36 and it worked ok, but the book dimensions are not encouraging. I don't know of a source for ammunition, it looks like a handloading proposition to me, with case forming work.
  • Options
    cowboykellcowboykell Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Open the action before unscrewing. The ejector sticks into a cut in the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the butt plate style is a tan, rubber or plastic looking plate, not curve. thanks