In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1894 short rifle

ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Saw post from yesterday so pulled mine out to check against reply's. My forearm is the standard 9-3/8" with the rear sight 5" from the receiver. However my octagon barrel is 21-1/2", with the front sight 1-1/4" from the end of the barrel. The magazine stops 6-1/2" from the end of the barrel. The serial number is 2270XX which Bert puts at 1904 DOM. Did they make any with 1/2" increments on barrels? Does Cody have all the serial numbers up to that number Bert has on his post or only some of the numbers? And, do they still charge $60.00 if they don't have the information for that number?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello ochoco,

I am in Cody, WY as I write this, and have been working in the records research department for the past several days. If you will provide me with the complete serial number by NLT 12:00 PM Thursday, I will research your Winchester free of charge. The CFM will not charge you for a letter if no data exists. That said, the Model 1894 records are nearly 100% complete for serials 1 - 353,999.

As for you question concerning barrels with 1/2" length increments, they are extremely rare for any of the Winchester models, but a few do exist.

That said, I am very doubtful that your rifle's barrel is original length. The first clue is the front sight distance from the muzzle. As I mentioned in a previous post, the distance will always be 15/16" on all Winchester Sporting rifles with a standard front sight dovetail cut.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    227057, Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ochoco
    227057, Thanks

The factory ledger information for Model 1894 serial number 227057 is as follows;

Received in warehouse: 7-15-1904
    Type: Rifle
    Caliber: 32 WS
    Barrel: 26" Octagon
    Trigger: Plain
    Sold: 7-26-1904
    Order No.: 239416
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First, Bert thank you very much for your help. Would the letter provide information on the non-standard sights and the magazine? Or was what you gave me all the info that is available? Adding 4-1/2" to the barrel makes the magazine 11" from the end of a 26" barrel, which doesn't work out to anything made that I'm aware of. What percent of value is lost with the cut down barrel?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The information I posted is exactly what you would get on a Factory letter. There is no information on the sights, and I suspect that they are not original either. Your rifle was manufactured and delivered with a full length magazine... it too has been cut-down.

As for your value question, unfortunately, it has lost most (75% - 80%) of its value due to the non-factory alterations. It has very little collector value, and is essentially just a "Shooter".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert, on the sights. Old Gunsights by Nick Stoebel, says "First cataloged in 1902, the 32 WS smokeless powder sight was standard on rifles chambered for that cartfidge." I am unable to find a picture of what they look like in the book. Could you or someone else post a picture of those sights? What is on the rifle looks like, winchester sporting front sight (21), with locking screw in base on the front and on the rear, winchester three-leaf express sight (34). Thank you again for all your knowledge you share with us.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On page 292 of the reference you note, you will find a picture of the sight you seek. It is the second sight from the top in the right column.
    What's next?