In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hoppes Tornado Brush what do you think

CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Was wondering if this type brush is safe to use, sure look like it would scratch the bore.

also what about stainless steel bristle type brushes

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would question the effectiveness of the Tornado, but haven't used one so can't say for sure. As for traditional sytle stainless brushs, don't use them! Bad medicine.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loops of the Tornado brush can't get down in the grooves of a rifled barrel, all mine was good for was a chamber brush. Probably ok on a shotgun barrel.
    I used a .410 Tornado on a pistol rod adapter to clean .38 revolver chambers for speedloading. It never scratched until I lost it. Now I use one of those six in one brushes.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for SHOT GUN barrel just my $.02. Use a brass bristle brush for rifled barrels these are softer then you barrel.Stainless bristle not for me except to scrub poor condition rusted barrels where possible scratches from stainless brush is not an issue because the barrel is poor to start.
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tornado is absolute tops for cleaning out the plastic wad residue from shotgun bores.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEVER use a brush made of steel,...only brass, bronze or nylon
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely Mr Ryan!! The tornado brushes are a must for the competition shotgunner. Not designed for a rifle barrel, the looped wires when combined with a bore solvent like say "Kroil" scrape any and all residue from inside the shotgun barrel leaving it spotless and shinny. It's design is also such that no scratching will occur.